PHD2 taking a long time to begin tracking

Scott Deming

Jan 27, 2023, 12:36:47 PM1/27/23
to Open PHD Guiding
Hello,

The last few times out in the field, I've noticed that PHD2 takes a very long time, sometimes five to ten minutes to begin guiding. Everything is connected, but I can't use the Guide Assistant and I do not see any guiding graphs for several minutes. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Scott

Bryan

Jan 27, 2023, 3:01:02 PM1/27/23
to Open PHD Guiding
Scott

Please provide the Guide and Debug logs, per http://openphdguiding.org/getting-help/

Bryan

Scott Deming

Jan 27, 2023, 4:29:51 PM1/27/23
to Open PHD Guiding

bw_m...@earthlink.net

Jan 27, 2023, 5:52:21 PM1/27/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

You’ve disabled the option to auto-load the calibration when you connect your gear.  So the initial session is always going to start with a calibration and in your case, you did 6 calibrations before you were happy.  You started PHD2 at 19:08:38, connected to the gear at 19:08:43, did an auto-find at 19:08:57, then clicked the guide button at 19:09:18 to start the first of your 6 calibrations.  Calibrations don’t show up in the guiding graph and the Guiding Assistant isn’t going to run without a calibration.

Regards,

Bruce

Scott Deming

Jan 28, 2023, 10:31:09 AM1/28/23
to Open PHD Guiding
Thank you Bruce. I'm not sure how I did that, but I've clicked on the option to auto restore calibration.

bw_m...@earthlink.net

Jan 28, 2023, 12:15:00 PM1/28/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

That should get you back to normal.  Unfortunately, we’re often fumbling around in the dark and cold and it’s easy to inadvertently change a setting.  There are visual cues to show when PHD2 is calibrating: 1) the cross-hairs on the image display will be yellow instead of green and 2) the “Cal” indicator in the lower right part of the status bar will be red rather than green.

Have fun,