Bad guiding. HELP¡¡¡¡

LUIS MARCHESI

Jan 16, 2023, 8:25:24 AM1/16/23
to Open PHD Guiding
I have been using PH2 GUIDING many, many years  with Windows 7 without any problem. This program is EXCELLENT.
I have decided,now, to update my  laptop with windows 10.
I follow the instructions, Camera QHY connected, Mount Skywatcher HEQ5/6  ( EQMOD ASCOM previously installed) connected and..go.
Start guiding but : Not guiding " word" appear down left side ( as in the past) and no  trendlines (as in the past).
The guiding , without graphic information,  is going from bad to worse in spite the calibration signal  Cal is green and is green also the circle beside.
Investigation: Opening the Tools menu -Modify calibration , the information is RA rate 1000,00???? Dec rate 1000,00 Angle RA 0 Angle Rec 90, Declination 0
If you open Revise Calibration, all information is NOT AVAILABLE including Focal Length. The graph is empty ( No line Right ascension neither Declination), only the cross with lines in dots.
How can include in this " Tools menu" all the information missing?
Is Windows 10 worst than Windows 7 for PH2 GUIDING?
Thanks a lot in advance
LUIS

Brian Valente

Jan 16, 2023, 8:43:23 AM1/16/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luis

We need to see the guidelogs to help. please use the built-in log uploader and the instructions here

LUIS MARCHESI

Jan 16, 2023, 4:01:33 PM1/16/23
to Open PHD Guiding
I am sorry. I forgot the guidelogs.

LUIS MARCHESI

Jan 19, 2023, 11:58:03 AM1/19/23
to Open PHD Guiding
I cannot find the solution by myself. Probably I am more dummy .

bw_m...@earthlink.net

Jan 19, 2023, 2:26:14 PM1/19/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

It’s hard to tell what created this mess.  PHD2 is used by many thousand people, most of whom are running on Windows 10.  Nearly all of the development work is done on Windows 10.  I would say something got botched in your Windows 10 upgrade.  Even though you apparently did a successful calibration on Jan 14th, only part of the calibration data was stored successfully.  All of it is stored in the Windows registry at the same time so it’s a mystery to me why it isn’t all there.  I can’t know what process you used to upgrade your system, perhaps that ran into problems.  Your best bet now may be to do a fresh, full install of PHD2 and then recreate your PHD2 configuration profile.  To do that, you can uninstall PHD2 then re-install the latest release.

Good luck,

Bruce

George Shoup

Jan 19, 2023, 4:18:55 PM1/19/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
When I went from Win 10 to Win 11 I had an issue with ZWO drivers.
The drivers were not installed correctly due to security setting changes, with no error messages.
You might want to check/reinstall your drivers.

LUIS MARCHESI

Jan 25, 2023, 8:44:34 AM1/25/23
to Open PHD Guiding
I think , now it works¡¡¡. The only thing I did is uninstall and reinstall PHD2 and other drivers  several times. Weird¡¡ Thanks for all your help.

LUIS MARCHESI

Jan 25, 2023, 8:48:24 AM1/25/23
to Open PHD Guiding
Last question about the same object. The guiding is good until 120" . From that time, more or less, the star is going out of the center further and further. Why? Thanks in advance

David Majors

Jan 25, 2023, 12:25:14 PM1/25/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
I ran into that issue as well when I did a Windows 11 upgrade.
I ended up doing a clean install not just of PHD2 but also ASCOM and the drivers.
It’s a good idea to set your equipment up at home after an upgrade and test all the communications before trying to image. Especially for those like me that can’t image from home.

Bruce Waddington

Jan 26, 2023, 12:43:59 AM1/26/23
to Open PHD Guiding
Same answer as always:

We need to see the guidelogs to help. please use the built-in log uploader and the instructions here

Bruce

LUIS MARCHESI

Jan 26, 2023, 2:17:02 PM1/26/23
to Open PHD Guiding
I am sorry again. I agree with Bruce. I forgot send the guidelogs
I decided as Dave said uninstall PHD2 an install again.
The problem now is that I cannot make the calibration, After 60 steps west, stop the process and Calibration fail because " The star do not move enough" Effectively the star is almost in the center of the cross all time. Distance no more than 3,0 during the process. I have changed the sky area. Always the same. It is curiously a perfect guiding, It is a nightmare for me

Brian Valente

Jan 26, 2023, 2:31:26 PM1/26/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
>>>I am sorry again. I agree with Bruce. I forgot send the guidelogs

you still need to send your guidelogs

LUIS MARCHESI

Jan 26, 2023, 4:35:18 PM1/26/23
to Open PHD Guiding
https://openphdguiding.org/logs/dl/PHD2_logs_TzvN.zip. Here the guidinglog of today without calibration after uninstall and reinstall PHD2.

LUIS MARCHESI

Jan 28, 2023, 12:59:36 PM1/28/23
to Open PHD Guiding

The logs of last night. The problem of calibration is still here. I started with 1s the "exposure duration"
. After 60steps west the same alert" The star does not move enough". It is true that the distance after every step is no more than2.0. I repeat with 2s the exposure. The same, in spite of the distance after 60 steps west, was 3.0. I repeated the process with 3s. In this case the distance was increasing until a distance of 10.0 but the alert was the same..
Distance of 10 is " not move enough" ?
Am I the only person in the world with this problem?
Wainting for the solution of anybody more clever than myself
LUIS

bw_m...@earthlink.net

Jan 28, 2023, 5:47:46 PM1/28/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

The mount isn’t moving at all in RA.  You need to first follow the instructions here and get the EQMOD settings right:

https://github.com/OpenPHDGuiding/phd2/wiki/EQASCOM-Settings

Set the guide speeds in EQMOD to the maximum, 0.9x sidereal and make sure that pulse-guiding is enabled.  Then use the PHD2 new-profile-wizard to create a new profile – correct values will be 600mm focal length, 3.8u pixel size, and 0.9x guide speed.  Next, make sure the mount is well-balanced in RA with any clutches tightened.  Then slew to Dec = 0 and 5 degrees east or west of the central meridian.  You’ve been trying to do calibrations with the scope pointing down in the weeds, much too close to the horizon.  The central meridian is the imaginary line that runs from the north celestial pole, through the zenith point, and continues south to the south celestial pole.  Then try the calibration again.  If the mount still doesn’t move, then there is something wrong with the EQMOD connection or the mount controller itself – not anything we can help you with.

LUIS MARCHESI

Jan 31, 2023, 6:31:25 AM1/31/23
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi everybody. This is a nightmare.
The 29th I got guiding following the sugestion of Dave uninstalling PHD and ASCOM. See the log.

But reading the advise of Bruce I proceeded  to uninstall again PHD and changing the EQMOD settings according to Bruce suggestions. I got the calibration for the first time in weeks. Thanks Bruce¡¡¡.

The result after that is the log of yesterday 30th. In spite that the screen said GUIDING something looked weird. Now I have seen that the log say " No guiding". What am I doing wrong?

mj.w...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2023, 9:17:24 AM1/31/23
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi Luis

 PHD2 was telling you the Calibrations had an issue.

Last Cal Issue = Orthogonality,  ortho.err. = 85.3 deg

Ideally Ortho should be close to zero deg.

Because of this, RA and Dec were guiding in the same direction !

Might not be a cable problem, as commands are getting to the mount - unless you have an unnecessary ST-4 cable causing conflict  ?

So look to  EQMOD settings.

Absolutely no point guiding until you get a issue-free Cal.

Michael
Wiltshire UK

LUIS MARCHESI

Jan 31, 2023, 10:13:05 AM1/31/23
to Open PHD Guiding
Thanks Michael .

I have understood the problem . I do not use ST-4 cable. I have changed all cables .From the mount and from  QHY Camera.

You say : So look to  EQMOD settings. Could you tell me the settings I have to change or check?

My surprise is because when I finished de calibration, CAL is in green, the graphic starting almost flat, the star is in the center of the cross, the Pic of the star is high, SNR in green...

It is nightmare

Happy day

LUIS

Brian Valente

Jan 31, 2023, 11:24:04 AM1/31/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luis

>>> CAL is in green, the graphic starting almost flat, the star is in the center of the cross, the Pic of the star is high, SNR in green...

PHD does not prevent you from proceeding with a bad calibration, but your guiding will suffer

At this point you should review your calibration when it is complete, and address any errors that pop up

Another way to do this is immediately following your calibration, do a guiding assistant run for a few minutes. It will also report any errors to you

Brian

mj.w...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2023, 4:49:10 AM2/1/23
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi Luis

" You say : So look to  EQMOD settings. Could you tell me the settings I have to change or check?"

Sorry, my Meade mount doesn't use EQMOD, so I can't advise you on which setting needs changing.

That was just my suggestion, could be something else.

The log reports that you're Calibrating at a good Dec      Dec = 2.8 deg

Perhaps you have an enormous Polar Alignment error - explain how you do PA ?

Incidentally,  I see now that the Cal was taking only 4 steps in RA and Dec, instead of about 12.

Resulting in a calculated guide rate of Norm rates RA = 46.2"/s @ dec 0, Dec = 45.9"/s;

When the mount is set to RA Guide Speed = 13.5"/s, Dec Guide Speed = 13.5"/s

This one I have seen before, you should reduce the EQMOD ASCOM PulseGuide setting, which multiplies the mount setting.

If it helps, the setting you had when you Calibrated on the 28th gave this rate     Norm rates RA = 8.8"/s @ dec 0, Dec = 10.3"/s;

Which was lower than the mount setting of RA Guide Speed = 13.5"/s, Dec Guide Speed = 13.5"/s

Michael
Wiltshire UK

LUIS MARCHESI

Feb 4, 2023, 11:46:29 AM2/4/23
to Open PHD Guiding
I think I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel but I need a little extra push.

Here you have the log took with the old HP laptop. I could get a good guiding , I think, with more than 6´ once.

LUIS MARCHESI

Feb 4, 2023, 12:04:10 PM2/4/23
to Open PHD Guiding
I had the problem of guiding with the new laptop Lenovo. Thanks to your help I could make the calibration yesterday after several attempts without success but the calibration was OK but not the guiding. You can see the log .
My question is : Why I could get calibration and good guiding with the old HP but not with the new Lenovo? What did I do wrong in the Lenovo process? I bought this new laptop for substituting the old  one. Windows 10 en both cases.
If the calibration was OK , why not the guiding?
A little push, please , and the problem will be solved¡¡¡
Happy weekend to all of you

mj.w...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2023, 12:43:26 PM2/4/23
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi Luis

" the calibration was OK but not the guiding"

I'm afraid none of your Cals on the 3rd Feb were good, they still had that huge Orthogonality error.

The final Cal had 8 steps in RA and Dec (useable), so you had the EQMOD setting nearly right.

But RA (blue)and Dec (red) weren't at 90 degrees to each other, somehow the RA and Dec commands are both in the same direction

04Feb.JPG

Your Cal on 2nd Feb had good Orthogonality, but too may steps due to the incorrect EQMOD ASCOM PulseGuide setting.

04FebA.JPG

Michael
Wiltshire UK