White image using WDM

Guillermo Abramson

Aug 16, 2014, 1:57:39 PM8/16/14
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I have been using PHD1 for a couple of years, and recently found about PHD2. I am trying to switch to using it, but found a weird problem. The image turns completely white when the illumination level of the camera is very low, such as when pointing to the night sky for guiding (problem!), or with the cap on. Immediately after removing the cap, the image is OK if the illumination is above some level, such as pointing towards the horizon at dusk for focusing! My setup is the following:

Windows 7 Home premium x64 (but the same happens in XP in an older notebook)
Celestron NexImage (a repack of a Philips spc900, the ToUCam)
Driver Philips 1.0.3.37 (see image attached)
PHD2 2.3.0 (selecting Windows WDM-style webcam > USB interface; Composite > Any mode

I can upload a screen grab of the white image and the normal daylight image if necessary, but it is just as described. PHD 1.14.0 installed in the same system works just fine, as PHD1 always has. I would like to switch to PHD2 to use the dithering capability.

If anybody has any idea of what to try, please let me know. Thanks.

Guillermo
philips driver.jpg

Bruce Waddington

Aug 16, 2014, 4:24:55 PM8/16/14
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried adjusting the gamma slider next to the exposure control on the main screen?  It behaves differently than PHD1.

Bruce

Guillermo Abramson

Aug 16, 2014, 5:46:39 PM8/16/14
On Saturday, August 16, 2014 5:24:55 PM UTC-3, Bruce Waddington wrote:
Have you tried adjusting the gamma slider next to the exposure control on the main screen?  It behaves differently than PHD1.

Bruce

Yes, I tried that without any effect. I did it without hope, because as I mentioned, a little light immediately brings up a true image. For example, if I slowly approach a flashlight, the pure white image abruptly turns into a shade with the familiar dust spots of the sensor etc. The moment I turn off the light, bang, pure white again.

Perplexed,

Guillermo

Nathan Towne

Aug 16, 2014, 7:05:18 PM8/16/14
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Make sure the camera gain is not too low. Nathan