Star Detection Saturation changes do not save

MikeSchi

Jan 18, 2022, 11:30:12 PM1/18/22
to Open PHD Guiding
I purchased an ASI290mono guide camera and when updating the camera profile I set the Star Detection Saturation value from 255 to 4095 (the correct value for a 12 bit camera). When I click OK and go back into the camera settings, the value returns to 255 (8 bit camera value). Am I interpreting this field incorrectly?

Thanks for your help.
Mike

wave...@talktalk.net

Jan 19, 2022, 6:52:20 AM1/19/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Hello Mike, I'm not one of the PHD2 gurus, but I've read a lot of questions about the guide camera bit depth settings because I had a similar issue myself. Basically, PHD2 operates at 8bit and 16bit, so a 12 or 14bit camera needs to be used with 16bit settings. Do this by selecting the 16bit option in the Connect Equipment gui (under the camera 'tools' button). The ADU setting you refer to should then show 65535 to confirm 16bit operation (Brain/Camera tab). All this should be done with the latest ZWO ASCOM driver in place. This will ensure the 12bit native output is raised to 16bit for PHD2 to employ.
Hope this helps.
- Jack

bval...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2022, 8:48:19 AM1/19/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi Mike

you need to set the camera to 16 bit mode, sounds like it's in 8-bit.

Star saturation will be limited to the camera bit depth

Brian

MikeSchi

Jan 19, 2022, 9:57:56 AM1/19/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Thanks Jack and Brian!
Mike

bw_msgboard

Jan 19, 2022, 11:08:15 AM1/19/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike.  After getting the camera into 16-bit mode, you will still need to manually reset the saturation level to something like 65000 - that won't be done automatically.

Bruce

Jan 20, 2022, 6:19:32 PM1/20/22
to Open PHD Guiding
It's good to know about that second step, Bruce.  Is that sticky?  That is, if after setting PHD2 to 16 bit mode for the ZWO camera and setting the saturation level to 65000, will both settings remain at those values, or do I have to set either or both again at the next session?
Thanks,
Manning B

Brian Valente

Jan 20, 2022, 6:36:37 PM1/20/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Those settings are sticky Mike

--
Brian

Brian Valente

bw_msgboard

Jan 20, 2022, 8:08:16 PM1/20/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
They're sticky unless you connect to the wrong (8-bit) ZWO camera or the ZWO driver suddenly decides to revert to 8-bit mode.