How to prevent auto-select from choosing comet?

Darryl M

Jan 18, 2023, 5:48:07 AM1/18/23
to Open PHD Guiding
This morning I happened to be up when Comet C/2022 E3 was rising. I had my telescope all set to startup and start photographing. I watched PHD2 start-up and it chose the comet as the guide star. I do not want this as I am guiding on stars. Is there any way to prevent PHD2 to NOT select the comet as a guide star?

bw_m...@earthlink.net

Jan 19, 2023, 1:30:53 AM1/19/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

There’s probably no straightforward way to do this, you may just have to select a guide star yourself.  I think most people would be happy to guide on the comet nucleus because the images will retain the resolution and fidelity of the comet rather than the stars.  There are a number of ways to produce a star-less, accurate image of the comet and then deal with blending in the background stars with other techniques.

Regards,

Bruce

Darryl M

Jan 20, 2023, 8:05:10 AM1/20/23
to Open PHD Guiding
Well I got around the problem by turning off guiding. My subs were only 30s so no issues turning off guiding.