Star lost-low mass

Ernest Singer

Jan 12, 2020, 8:29:57 AM1/12/20
to Open PHD Guiding

IMG_7026.jpg

Was guiding well but now I am getting a star lost-low mass message even though there is a bright star in the frame. Something wrong in the settings? Using a ZWO ASI Camera with a Temma Takahashi Mount. Equipment profile settings ZWO ASI Camera and Mount On-camera.

Thanks,

Ernie

Andy Galasso

Jan 13, 2020, 12:52:55 AM1/13/20
to OpenPHD Guiding

Hi Ernie,
We can probably help but we'll need to see your log files to understand the situation -- we really cannot do anything with a screenshot.
Log file upload instructions are here: Getting Help
Please upload the Debug Log and Guide Log from the session you had the star lost errors.
Andy

Ernest Singer

Jan 18, 2020, 6:15:02 AM1/18/20
to Open PHD Guiding

Attached the files, hopefully you can help.

Ernie
PHD2_DebugLog_2020-01-12_215410.txt
PHD2_GuideLog_2020-01-12_215410.txt

Andy Galasso

Jan 18, 2020, 4:15:56 PM1/18/20
to OpenPHD Guiding
Hi Ernie,

Were you intending to guide with the ASI1600MM camera? Usually we see people using that as an imaging camera and not a guide camera.

If so, the guiding image scale of 0.20"/px is quite extreme. When you setup your equipment profile PHD2 would have recommended 4x binning, and if you had gone with that recommendation you would not have had the star loss problems.  To correct this now (assuming you really do intend to use the 1600 as a guide camera) you should create a new equipment profile (Connect Equipment > Manage Profiles > New using Wizard...). Also, for using the 1600 as a guide camera I would highly recommend enabling subframes (brain > camera tab) to reduce the frame download time.

On the other hand if you have a different ZWO camera that you want to use as the guide camera, you would use the camera selection button to select it (see the section Multiple Cameras of the Same Type in the PHD2 Help under Equipment Connection).  Again, I recommend you setup a new equipment profile for the guide camera, but make sure only the guide camera is plugged in (not the 1600) when you set it up.  When you have both cameras connected, you can go into the Connect Equipment window and use the camera selection button and select the guide camera -- PHD2 will remember your selection from then on.

Andy

ernie.si...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2021, 7:52:25 AM4/9/21
to Open PHD Guiding
Thanks for your help. One more question, my telescope is a C-14 Edge and an ONAG guider and the ASI1600MM as a guide camera. Due you have any suggestions for aggressiveness in the settings?

Thanks,

Ernie