Correction signals hardly moving Ra&Dec.

Ali

Jan 4, 2022, 5:21:38 AM1/4/22
to Open PHD Guiding
I did a full cleaning/Lub and fine tuning for my Atlas eq-g..
All mechanical procedure gone smoothly and both axis are looks good..
I tried the mount under the sky and I really expect a very good guiding as I am sure about the rebuilding process..
Guiding looks fair (RMS 0.7 - 0.8) some times goes 0.9 or 1 ..
I bet It can do better but I couldn't make it..
My question is :
When you looking at Ra correction pulses they hardly move the Ra.. it takes 4 or 5 pulses to responds.. For Dec. I can handle that with backlash comp.
Log file is attached..
Any recommendations ? without stripping down again :(
Mount: Atlas eq-g ,belt mod 10 months ago and worked very well till it stopped while slewing and I decided to begin stripped down.
Scope : SW Esprit 100mm
OAG guiding with asi 290mm mini

Log File :

Thanks.
Ali

Steve

Jan 4, 2022, 5:35:09 AM1/4/22
to OpenPHD Guiding
Hi
Loosen the taper bearing at the base of RA.
HTH

Ali

Jan 4, 2022, 5:45:46 AM1/4/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Thanks..
I set the taper bearing quite good ( nearer to loose than tightened ,, while the Ra axis  and the bearing are fit sturdy ) .
Ra axis is very smooth when you move it by hand. No any stiction.
Belt also in a good tightness condition ( not loose nor tight ),, I wondered if I give it a little tightness will be good ?!

Ali

Jan 5, 2022, 1:50:55 AM1/5/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Backlash, GA , Calibration  results are attached .. Looks good for me .. What do you think.
ga.PNG

Bruce Waddington

Jan 5, 2022, 2:50:09 PM1/5/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ali.  I see what you’re talking about although it’s unlikely to make a lot of difference to your imaging results.  This is some kind of mechanical behavior, it’s not guiding.  The possibilities that come to mind include:

1.      Some kind of static resistance in the RA system

2.      Possibly a weight imbalance in RA

3.      A need to increase the mount guide speed to 0.8x or 0.9x to help it push through the resistance

Good luck,

Bruce

علي الحواس

Jan 10, 2022, 1:39:24 PM1/10/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bruce.
Could you give a hint what is a "static resistance" please.

BR,,

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Open PHD Guiding" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/open-phd-guiding/002801d8026d%246f297b70%244d7c7250%24%40earthlink.net.

bw_msgboard

Jan 10, 2022, 10:53:22 PM1/10/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
I was really thinking of any sort of impedance that might retard the ability of the RA axis to quickly accelerate above the sidereal rate.  Here's a section of the log I was looking at (RA in red):

These guide pulses were all to the west, meaning that guiding was trying to accelerate the RA tracking system to track the guide star.  I don't see this happening much when the guide pulses are east.  So it could be something like a bearing that can't move freely enough, gears that are meshed too tightly, etc - no way for me to guess, I don't have a mechanical engineering background.  This directional bias was why I also mentioned that a weight imbalance could be a problem.

Regards,
Bruce