Re: [open-phd-guiding] Unhandled Exception Occurred

Message has been deleted

Brian Valente

Jan 17, 2023, 9:07:36 PM1/17/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Hi SImon

you need to upload your phd logs by using the logfile uploader:

what makes you think it is PHD?

On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 5:59 PM Simon Thompson <sit...@gmail.com> wrote:
I keep getting the following exception pop in in NINA which is leading me to believe that I have issues in PHD2 (using 2.6.11 dev4). Anyone come across this before?

Snag_b02b877.png

Simon Thompson

Jan 17, 2023, 9:16:20 PM1/17/23
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi Brian, I tried to upload the log file but its saying its too large. I posted on the NINA dischord and they came back with a possible PHD error

Brian Valente

Jan 17, 2023, 9:17:14 PM1/17/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Please use the built-in log uploader that is described in the link I sent below

Simon Thompson

Jan 17, 2023, 9:19:35 PM1/17/23
to Open PHD Guiding

bw_m...@earthlink.net

Jan 17, 2023, 10:49:18 PM1/17/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

It doesn’t look like there’s anything wrong with PHD2, the problem is whatever your computer started doing around 00:17 on 1/18.  Starting at that point, something is consuming processor resources on your system and things that should take at most a few seconds are taking many minutes.  Here’s just one example from the PHD2 log:

00:17:02.837 03.218 8144 Exposure complete

00:27:00.588 597.751 8144 worker thread done servicing request

00:43:01.542 960.954 10420 OnExposeComplete: enter

00:43:01.542 00.000 10420 UpdateGuideState(): m_state=6

Don’t worry about the actual log entries, just look at the timestamps – starting at 00:17:02 and ending at 00:43:01.  This list of activities should have taken a second or two at the most, not 25 minutes.  This sort of thing happened repeatedly for the rest of the night.   NINA may have been affected by the same underlying problem, nothing to do with PHD2.  What does the NINA log show for timestamped activities?  The irony is that PHD2 just kept running, closing normally at 05:44.

Are you sure your system wasn’t doing a Windows Update or something else equally intrusive?  You can look in the Windows event viewer and see if there are any indications of system-level errors in this time period.  You should also be sure that Windows isn’t suspending USB ports for power-management reasons.  Just so you know, PHD2 dev4 is a very minor service release done mostly to fix a problem a few people encountered with a missing Windows C++ dll – there are no functional changes that could cause this sort of thing.  Also, NINA and PHD2 are separate processes running in their own process spaces so it is highly unlikely that PHD2 could create a problem that NINA couldn’t handle – including crashing altogether.

Good luck,

Bruce

Simon Thompson

Jan 17, 2023, 11:34:59 PM1/17/23
to Open PHD Guiding
Thats exactly the time my last image was taken so you've hit the nail on the head I think Bruce. At least its not PHD which narrows things down somewhat. Thanks for your input Bruce