Do you know any good PEC training videos?

Stuart Taylor

Jan 18, 2023, 1:32:50 PM1/18/23
to Open PHD Guiding
I have heard that PEC is a benefit to guiding, but I don't know the first thing about how to do it.

First, is this correct? (I have an EQ8)
Second, if so, can you recommend any videos explaining how to do it?

Thanks

Brian Valente

Jan 18, 2023, 1:45:40 PM1/18/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stuart

If you are referring to your mount's built-in PEC, that is something unique to each mount. You should probably consult an EQ user group for details on yours.

If you are referring to the predictive periodic error correction algorithm in PHD, you can find those details in the documentation

Stuart Taylor

Jan 18, 2023, 2:51:33 PM1/18/23
to Open PHD Guiding
Ok. I'm not sure which I'm referring to, to be honest. I don't know enough about it. I'll check back to see who recommended this.
Thanks

Brian Valente

Jan 18, 2023, 2:59:44 PM1/18/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Stuart - for your mount, my guess is they are referring to mount-based PEC. It's a topic that is well traveled in various EQ user forums

Stuart Taylor

Jan 18, 2023, 3:22:31 PM1/18/23
to Open PHD Guiding
yes, I think you are right. There is some kind of 'training' involved, I gather. I'll research further. Thanks again

George Shoup

Jan 18, 2023, 4:44:20 PM1/18/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stuart

Past posts and my experience suggest that the predictive periodic error correction algorithm in PHD is the easiest method
and it is most likely to yield the improvements you are looking for.

Easy to do and the experts will suggest settings if you upload your baseline guiding results. to this forum.

George

Stuart Taylor

Jan 18, 2023, 5:06:51 PM1/18/23
to Open PHD Guiding
Thanks George. Here is tonight's log (although I've been guiding a few hours and this one only says 1h 3m - maybe there is a lag)