drastic difference in guiding

Glenn Newell

Sep 25, 2021, 12:52:12 PM9/25/21
to Open PHD Guiding
For the last week or so I've struggled with bouts of RA and DEC bouncing back and forth at > 4 arcsec. However if I stop, loop, (re)auto-select, guide (hopefully before SGP panics and goes into recovery mode) things settle down to smooth typical results for my rig.

Here's an example:

PHD2 strangness.png

In the left most section is guiding after calibration, then in the center we have the bad behavior (guiding started by SGP), then on the right a quick restart and auto select.

Logs attached.  I don't think it's star profile differences but I can be corrected. If it is, we're back to "how do we get better auto select with ONAG".

FYI, somewhat out of the ordinary perhaps (but I've been running this way for about a month), I'm guiding with an ONAG and a ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool. bin 2. Using the ASI1600 as a guide camera is the new bit. Much better response in IR than my previous ASI174MM guide cam.
PHD2 debug.zip

bw_msgboard

Sep 26, 2021, 12:10:21 AM9/26/21
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
I can't find this particular sequence in the guide log you sent - can you identify a specific time range that matches the screen-shot?

Bruce

Sep 26, 2021, 2:08:40 PM9/26/21
to Open PHD Guiding
The right most sequence should have started at 9:49 PM system time, on 9/24/2021 (first 10 min sub completed at 9:59).

Checking for other log files... No, the one I sent covers that time period.

bw_msgboard

Sep 26, 2021, 5:31:35 PM9/26/21
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Ok, sorry, I can't find anything in the log that matches this pattern.  Here's the view from 21:49 to 21:59:

The big RA oscillation that you see to the right of center has the pattern of a cable drag or a perturbation in the mount's sidereal tracking, it's seen many times during the guiding session:

If you've changed guide cameras, you may want to take a close look at how it's mounted in the guiding assembly and how its cables are routed.  If you want us to investigate star-finding or centroiding, we will need to see the matching debug log file.  At that point, we will need a more precise definition of the time-range.  A good approach would be for you to use the LogViewer tool and locate the specific section you want to know about.

Regards,
Bruce