"Calibration Failed, star did not move enough"

Carter Loewen

Aug 5, 2022, 6:06:19 AM8/5/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Got a clear night for the first time in a while. Previously I used PHD2 on my MacBook running MacOS and worked flawlessly, no issues. I recently got APT and converted my MacBook to run a full version of Windows so I could use APT in conjunction with PHD2.

Well tonight, I went out and got setup only to keep getting "calibration failed, star did not move enough". I tried everything, switching cables, switching guide star, polar aligning again, rebalancing, touching settings that supposedly would help. Nothing worked and I wasted the night in trying to fix whatever was wrong.

Attached are my logs from tonight. I would love some help in trying to figure out what went wrong so this doesn't happen again.

Thank you.

wave...@talktalk.net

Aug 5, 2022, 9:39:49 AM8/5/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Hello Carter, First clear night in weeks and it all fails at the first hurdle - it could be me talking. So I'm not 'expert' by any means and to me, the Debug log mostly gobbledegook, so I'm chancing a guess. I notice it asks several times if ASCOM is installed? I think that sounds like a vital question, so maybe you should check you've installed the latest ASCOM platform?
Cheers,
- Jack

Carter Loewen

Aug 5, 2022, 12:52:49 PM8/5/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Funny enough, as soon as I packed all my stuff up and went inside, I double checked if I had all the drivers and I was missing the ASCOM ones. I just don't know if that's the fix until I'm able to get back out there.

wave...@talktalk.net

Aug 5, 2022, 1:57:09 PM8/5/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Apart from hardware drivers, ensure you have the latest ASCOM Platform in there as well.
I see you're guiding via ST4. Is that the only option for your mount?
Good luck,
- Jack

Carter Loewen

Aug 5, 2022, 10:04:33 PM8/5/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Yeah I just downloaded the proper ASCOM software. Yes, ST4 is the only option. I know the SWSA can be finnicky sometimes since it has no Declination axis, so hopefully with the ASCOM drivers & declination axis turned off I won't run into anymore issues.

mj.w...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2022, 6:00:15 AM8/6/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi Carter

You've only now mentioned what mount you have, and that it doesn't have a Dec motor.

So PHD2 has been trying to Calibrate Dec, and of course fails, and sends you a message.

So you should Calibrate with Dec Guiding OFF in PHD2.

You can guide ST-4 if you want to, so long as you get a good Calibration.

Michael
Wiltshire UK