trouble guiding declination error

Eric Brotman

Sep 15, 2021, 8:27:40 PM9/15/21
to Open PHD Guiding
Greetings from Los Angeles. Had difficulty with guiding. The errors seemed off the chart and then received this  error. See attachment.  Sky was ok other than half moon. Keep getting star lost error as well. Any help is appreciated. Would love to be directed to simple clear understanding of calibration. I am thinking it is a calibration problem.
PHD2_DebugLog_2021-09-14_193238.txt
declanation error.PNG

wave...@talktalk.net

Sep 16, 2021, 4:52:11 AM9/16/21
to Open PHD Guiding
Hello drbr--, I think the GuideLog would also be helpful to the PHD2 experts, but I noticed your Calibration here was done at 52 degrees, which isn't the most reliable location for doing this. The User Guide recommends Calibrating near Dec 0 and your Meridian. Always nudge the scope North immediately prior to Calibrating to eliminate backlash in the Dec drive.
Cheers,
- Jack

bw_msgboard

Sep 16, 2021, 11:08:47 AM9/16/21
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Have you read the manual?  There's quite a large section there explaining how calibration works and another section that discusses the various kinds of calibration problems and what to do about them.  If you've studied those sections and don't understand what's being said, maybe you can identify where it's confusing.

Regards,
Bruce