RA Calibration Failed - Star did not move enough

Excelsior Consulting

Jan 16, 2022, 10:09:14 PM1/16/22
to Open PHD Guiding
I just attempted PHD2 guiding on a 70mm APO on a Celestron AVX mount (19:30~20:00 MT from Denver, CO).  Prior to this evening, I had been guiding successfully on a 8" ACF telescope for about 2 months.

I'm assuming that when moving my 60mm/240mm FL guide scope from the ACF to the APO, a new calibration is required.  The camera I am using is a QHY5-III 178C model with 2.4 pixel size

When performing the new calibration (focused on a star field near Betelgeuse), I received the above error.  I double checked my connections and attempted the calibration twice and received the same error message.

I have uploaded my log file from the session:

Best regards,
Rich

bw_msgboard

Jan 16, 2022, 11:35:00 PM1/16/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
I don't know what you were doing but you definitely created a mess for yourself.  You started out with a focal length of 240mm - sounds right - but by 19:19, you had a focal length of 2000mm. This is why the last calibration failed although many of the earlier attempts look really bad.  I think you should start over by running the new-profile-wizard and carefully entering the correct configuration parameters for your setup.  You should also strongly consider moving to an ASCOM mount connection instead of the ST-4 guide cable.  Because you aren't doing that, we can only provide limited help.  For example, we can't tell where your scope was pointing nor can PHD2. While you're fixing things, you should also increase your guide camera exposure time to at least 1 second.

Management of PHD2 profiles is covered in the help manual.  And it would be worth your time to review the PHD2 best practices:

https://openphdguiding.org/phd2-best-practices/

Good luck,

Bruce