OT: Experience with SXV-AO Adaptive optics and PHD2

Brian Valente

Dec 11, 2017, 1:05:40 PM12/11/17
to Open PHD Guiding

Hi all,

(if this is not appropriate please feel free to delete)

I am looking for feedback/experience on anyone using the starlight express AO adapter with PHD.

Thanks

Brian

Brian Valente

Brianvalentephotography.com

Hans

Dec 11, 2017, 1:29:41 PM12/11/17
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi Brian,
Your question seems perfectly on-topic to me.
Having ported the SX-AO to Linux in PHD2 I can tell you it works great :)
But maybe you have a specific question ?
-- Hans

Brian Valente

Dec 11, 2017, 1:39:50 PM12/11/17
to Hans, Open PHD Guiding

Sure –

Regarding PHD2:

-         Are there any issues with setup? (I saw some details on maximDL being a little problematic)

-         Does it play nicely with guiding

Regarding the AO unit in general:

-         Any issues with backfocus or image train?

-         Where do you insert it into your image train

-         Any other tips or insights

While I’m waiting for some PE correction improvements, I’m remembering the good experience I had with SBIG’s AO, and now I’m thinking to add it back in to my current (non-SBIG) setup.

Thanks

Brian

Brian Valente

Brianvalentephotography.com

Hans

Dec 11, 2017, 1:59:52 PM12/11/17
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi Brian,

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 7:39:50 PM UTC+1, Brian Valente wrote:

-         Are there any issues with setup? (I saw some details on maximDL being a little problematic)

I cannot speak for Maxim because I use only Linux.
There was an issue in PHD2 with AO max travel varying between firmwares some years ago, but this can now be specified in the config so that issue is fixed. I know of no other issues.

-         Does it play nicely with guiding

It plays very well with guiding :) That's the whole purpose of the device of course. PHD2 auto calibrates both the AO and the mount and their axis need not be aligned at all.

Regarding the AO unit in general:

-         Any issues with backfocus or image train?

Not in my setup (SCT).

-         Where do you insert it into your image train

I have it right after the focuser and just before the filter wheel and camera.

-         Any other tips or insights

Maybe to make sure your focuser can handle the extra weight well.

I'm happy with the SX-AO and would buy it again.

-- Hans

Alruckle

Dec 12, 2017, 7:18:58 PM12/12/17
to Open PHD Guiding
Brian,
       I have been pleased with my SX-AO LF. I purchased it for use on a home built telescope that does not have guiding capability.  It was built about 40 years ago and is housed in a roll off roof observatory.  The drive of the mount has a 120v synchronous Bodine motor driving a 11" 359 tooth ER Byers Aluminum worm gear. with a 1" stainless steel worm.   The existing telescope is a 14 ¼" ƒ 5.6 Newtonian with a steel truss tube, which is fork mounted.  I have been able to take unguided photos up to 5 minute exposures about 50% of the time.   The reason for purchasing  the AO unit was to minimize the number of bad exposures.  The setup of the AO unit on the Newtonian telescope is straightforward and delivers guiding typically at .25" of arc or less RMS.
        With our telescope at ƒ5.6 coma is not excessive, but in order to minimize or eliminate the Coma we incorporated a Baader RCCi coma corrector with a back focus of 91.6mm.  We have, up to now, used a Canon T6i DSLR with a 24 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor. which required that we change cameras to the mirrorless Canon M3 camera with the same sensor, in order to be within the back focus requirements of the AO unit.  An indirect benefit of using the AO unit has been the need to have an off axis guider which is incorporated very well in the SX AO unit.
        To be sure, the AO unit requires additional set up time, but without it, we would not be able to guide this telescope.  The alternative is to rebuild the RA drive and add a DC Dec drive with DC servo motors with a SciTech drive controller which would allow guiding as well as GOTO capability but would cost much more than the AO unit.

aruckle

Christopher Madson

Jan 14, 2018, 6:28:19 PM1/14/18
to Open PHD Guiding
I recently got my SX AO-LF running as well. Works flawlessly with PHD2 and SGP.  I'm really happy with the results! If you've ever dealt with inconsistent guiding and already have an OAG setup... it's a no brainer.

Chris