PHD2 baseline measurements instructions

Boris Stromar

Jun 26, 2024, 11:09:19 AMJun 26
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi all,

I wanted to make at least a small contribution to PHD2 users. The Baseline measurements PDF document is now a few years old, so I tried to update it and make the design a bit more nicer to see and read.

Please take a look and let me know if there's anything I could improve.
PHD2 baseline.pdf

Lenny Shaffer

Jun 26, 2024, 11:28:39 AMJun 26
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Just one comment...If you use the Calibration Assistant automatic slew you may be too close to the meridian line to do a 15 minute Guiding Assistant run immediately afterward. Many programs (APT, NINA, etc.) have Meridian Flip settings and you may institute one since they are also connected to PHD2. Best to check your proximity to the meridian before commencing a long Guiding Assistant run.

Murphy's Law of the Week: "How long a minute is depends upon which side of the bathroom door you're on."

Bruce Waddington

Jun 26, 2024, 11:58:02 AMJun 26
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi Boris.  This was a very nice thing for you to do and is most welcome.  I have a number of suggestions and corrections I'd like to offer but I probably won't be able to get to them until tonight.  One obvious thing, for example, is that you seem to be using the Calibration Assistant only as a means to point the scope.  That's only part of its purpose, the real idea is that you press the 'calibrate' button right there and you then get an assessment of the result.

Later,
Bruce

Boris Štromar

Jun 26, 2024, 12:00:04 PMJun 26
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Ok, but this is probably a calibration assistant issue?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Open PHD Guiding" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/open-phd-guiding/f61ce9b1-89f7-4023-bda9-5119e34de516%40lenny-shaffer.com.

Boris Štromar

Jun 28, 2024, 3:50:58 PMJun 28
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, that’s why I’m asking for suggestions. This text was copied as written by the previous author with some modest adjustments on my part. You’re all welcome to suggest any improvements!
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Open PHD Guiding" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/open-phd-guiding/d75cd9dc-f29b-434d-91bf-f2abecda2f0fn%40googlegroups.com.

Brian Valente

Jun 28, 2024, 4:43:07 PMJun 28
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
>>> This text was copied as written by the previous author with some modest adjustments on my part

i'm that author, and I approve of your efforts :)

Thanks

Boris Štromar

Jun 29, 2024, 1:16:51 AMJun 29
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Brian, I wasn't sure! I'll make a few changes that were suggested and post an updated version soon.

Boris Stromar

Jul 23, 2024, 12:57:45 AM (3 days ago) Jul 23
to Open PHD Guiding
Hello everyone,

sorry for a bit of delay. Here's the new version with some changes that Bruce suggested.

Brian Valente

Jul 24, 2024, 10:45:17 AM (2 days ago) Jul 24
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Boris

I have a few suggestions, is there a markup in box? Or I can just email you directly

Brian

Boris Štromar

Jul 24, 2024, 10:57:19 AM (2 days ago) Jul 24
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
You can make notes in the PDF and send it somewhere, and of course you can send an email or even a message to this mailing list.

Boris Stromar

Jul 25, 2024, 9:15:33 AM (19 hours ago) Jul 25
to Open PHD Guiding
Just one more thing I wanted to mention - this file is meant to be freely available for everyone and of course freely shared. So please include for free download it on any relevant websites. And of course I'll be happy to include any relevent suggestions or new updates.