Sticky lock and scripted operation. Feature for PHD2 Broker?

Kaban

Aug 6, 2022, 6:02:53 PM8/6/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Hello.

I use PHD2 Broker and works pretty well.
I would love to see the option to chose a sticky lock position with a script. Maybe using Broker or just a plain script.
If anybody could help with this i would be very grateful.
In this way i could experiment trying to send a guiding star to a fixed position on the chip so that my target star for spectroscopy would sit on the slit.

Thank you.

David Cejudo.
Observatorio El gallinero.
El berrueco (Spain).

bw_m...@earthlink.net

Aug 6, 2022, 9:33:03 PM8/6/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

Hi David.  I think it would be a good idea to work through the process manually to be sure it would really do what you want. In particular, to be sure a sticky lock position really behaves the way you think.  There’s no point implementing this sort of thing without knowing it’s really going to solve your problem.

Regards,

Bruce

Kaban

Aug 8, 2022, 7:03:14 PM8/8/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Hello, Bruce.

Yes, i tested it manually and it works.

If i guide on the target star i just write down the slit center coordinates in the Adjust Lock Position window and after a short time the starts sits in the very center of the slit.

If i guide on another star (i usually do this) i measure the offset from my target star to the center of the slit and add it to the guiding star position in the Adjust Position Window. Again, after a short time the target star is placed in the center of the slit.

To measure the offset i can use a plate solve script that correlates RA, Dec with x, y pixels.
I would also need PHD2 to save a picture for plate solve, of course.

So the whole script would do:
-start guiding
-save one image
-plate solve
-calculate the offset
-add it to the Adjust Lock Position and write it down

I can do the script for the plate solve and offset calculation, but not the "save image" and "write it down."

Thanks.

David.