guide star lost, low mass

Stuart Taylor

Aug 10, 2022, 5:09:45 AM8/10/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Quite often I get this and I wonder if maybe I need to bin the guide camera? my guiding image scale is 1.15"/px and my imaging scale is 0.74"/px
Thanks

mj.w...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2022, 5:57:43 AM8/10/22
to Open PHD Guiding
You haven't suppled the Logs for the experts to examine.

Try the "How to ask for help with PHD2" link at the top of the home page.

Stuart Taylor

Aug 10, 2022, 6:00:09 AM8/10/22
to Open PHD Guiding
ok, thanks I'll read all that and maybe find my answer there

Bruce Waddington

Aug 11, 2022, 3:27:00 PM8/11/22
to Open PHD Guiding
You've got your camera saturation settings goofed up - the saturation level is set to zero.  Since the camera is 8-bit, the saturation value should be 255.  That's "Saturation by Max ADU value" on the camera tab of Advanced Settings.  This mistake is causing PHD2 to choose fainter stars than necessary.  It would be worth trying out binning on the guide camera - the resultant image scale should still be fine enough to produce good guiding results.  This should have the benefit of producing stars with higher SNR values.  If you try this, be sure to create a new, separate profile for 2x2 binning operations.  The new profile will have adjusted values for many of the guiding parameters and you should get good results without any fiddling around needed.  Once you have the second profile built, you can easily switch back and forth between binned and un-binned operations.

Regards,
Bruce

Stuart Taylor

Aug 11, 2022, 4:17:17 PM8/11/22
to Open PHD Guiding
that's odd. I just checked my advanced settings and the saturation value is set to 255. Assuming you mean this?
Capture.JPG

bw_m...@earthlink.net

Aug 11, 2022, 5:24:28 PM8/11/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

It looks like we automatically repaired that for you at 00:06 on 8/9.  Prior to that, you were running with a zero value.  It’s probably not worth the time to figure out what happened, it should be fine going forward.

Bruce

Stuart Taylor

Aug 11, 2022, 6:01:09 PM8/11/22
to Open PHD Guiding
ok. Not sure how that got fixed but anyway. good. Thanks

Stuart Taylor

Aug 11, 2022, 6:02:43 PM8/11/22
to Open PHD Guiding
what happens when your particular view of the sky has no guide stars? I am just getting endless 'bing' from PHD2
Capture.JPG

Brian Valente

Aug 11, 2022, 6:12:02 PM8/11/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
>>> what happens when your particular view of the sky has no guide stars? I am just getting endless 'bing' from PHD2

that depends - presumably you are using your imaging app (NINA, right?) and it is controlling PHD. So you control the guiding behavior via the imaging app

What is your fov on your guidescope? there are always stars out there, unless it's weather-related or you are shooting at really long focal lengths

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Open PHD Guiding" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/open-phd-guiding/1c6bd6c9-f463-41a9-bbbc-831116a4e3f4n%40googlegroups.com.

Stuart Taylor

Aug 11, 2022, 6:25:12 PM8/11/22
to Open PHD Guiding
I have an OAG-L (large prism) on an Esprit 150 (1050mm FL). Guide scale is 1.15"/px
 I tried increasing the guide cam exposure time to 4 sec and upped the gain to 200
but I am still getting endless 'bing'

Brian Valente

Aug 11, 2022, 6:29:52 PM8/11/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
you should have plenty of guidestars at that focal length. I'm not sure how familiar you are with troubleshooting OAGs, etc. but you should look at focusing/spacing and being parfocal to your camera. That setup you has sounds like a nice one, but many people use that setup (or nearly that) and have no problem with guidestars

Has it worked before or is this a new setup you are trying to dial in?

George Shoup

Aug 11, 2022, 6:48:40 PM8/11/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

Stuart Taylor

Aug 11, 2022, 6:52:26 PM8/11/22
to Open PHD Guiding
this exact setup was working perfectly last night. It's not focus, or obstruction. and I am in a part of the sky with plenty of stars and a bright scope (Esprit 150 f/7)
Capture.JPG

Stuart Taylor

Aug 11, 2022, 6:54:00 PM8/11/22
to Open PHD Guiding
ugh!
Capture.JPG

Stuart Taylor

Aug 12, 2022, 11:06:07 AM8/12/22
to Open PHD Guiding

bw_m...@earthlink.net

Aug 12, 2022, 1:29:52 PM8/12/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

The data in the log files show there were basically no usable stars in the guide frames – just faint objects with very low SNR values.  When you encounter the problem again, you should do a File/Save in PHD2 so you can capture the image.  You can post that on a publicly accessible cloud store or look at it yourself with whatever imaging app you like.  I think you will see a pretty sorry looking image from the standpoint of well-focused, sharp stars.

Stuart Taylor

Aug 12, 2022, 5:52:51 PM8/12/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Ok. So basically I was pointed at the wrong part of the sky. Nothing to do with my PHD2 settings. That’s reassuring (in a way). I’d not be surprised if this were a long FL scope, but 1050mm is not extreme. Oh well.

Next time I attempt this target I’ll rotate the camera 180 degrees and see if there are any stars on the other side.

Thanks for looking at it for me.

Brian Valente

Aug 12, 2022, 5:57:02 PM8/12/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
>>>Next time I attempt this target I’ll rotate the camera 180 degrees and see if there are any stars on the other side.

or your guidescope isn't well focused?

Stuart Taylor

Aug 13, 2022, 2:18:58 AM8/13/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
I’m not using a guidescope. It’s an OAG and it’s parfocal with the telescope (that’s why I’m suggesting rotating the camera to find more stars on the other side)

mj.w...@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2022, 4:28:29 AM8/13/22
to Open PHD Guiding
I plan my imaging using a Planetarium to position the guidecam on suitable guide stars.

Michael
Wiltshire UKJ

FOV03.JPG

Rick Cohen

Aug 13, 2022, 1:24:15 PM8/13/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Michael,

What program did you use to get that image?  Is it a screenshot?  It would be really helpful to see exactly what part of the sky my OAG is pointing at relative to the imaging camera.

Thanks,

Rick

Stuart Taylor

Aug 13, 2022, 6:12:54 PM8/13/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
I agree Rick! This looks super useful!

Graeme Durden

Aug 14, 2022, 3:33:18 AM8/14/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Don't know what programme that is, possibly Carts du Ciel. I use Stellerium for this. Rotate to a suitable star and check the angle. Rotate the camera to match and check the rotation in NINA. The chosen star will then be visible in the OTA for PHD to find.
Screenshot 2022-08-14.png

mj.w...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2022, 6:30:43 AM8/14/22
to Open PHD Guiding
It's COELIX, but looks like CdC does a good job too/

Michael
Wiltshire UK

Stuart Taylor

Aug 15, 2022, 1:34:24 AM8/15/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Michael. So do you enter the details of your camera, scope and OAG to get that view reticle?

Stuart

mj.w...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2022, 4:56:02 AM8/15/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi Stuart.

All it needs is:
Focal Length
Guidecam sensor size (it assumes the prism matches)
Radius, the distance of the prism from the centre of the imaging FOV.

After I've set the prism to just not vignette, I take the OAG off and roughly measure the prism distance (Radius) from the centre line.
Then I centralise a bright star like Vega in the imaging FOV, with the prism located to the north (or south).
Slowly slew in Dec until the star appears in the guidecam display in PHD2 etc, and centralise in the guidecam display.
If the COELIX display doesn't match, then adjust the Radius in COELIX until the COELIX box frames the star on the COELIX display
Note that due to inversions in the scope optics, in my setup the prism is actually located "above" the imaging camera, although COELIX shows it to be "below".
So that slew may not be in the direction you thought it should be.
This catches people out, when they have focused the imaging camera, then can't find the same star to focus the guidecam.

Michael
Wiltshire UK