Dec axis not moving?

Edward Moore

Sep 23, 2021, 4:51:40 PM9/23/21
to Open PHD Guiding
Hey. I have this output from calibration with these logs:

over on the NINA discord it was suggested that the DEC axis did not move at all during the calibration. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

phd.png

Brian Valente

Sep 23, 2021, 4:57:22 PM9/23/21
to Open PHD Guiding
HI Edward

Just a quick look through your guidelog, i don't think you have it configured properly. I doubt your guidescope is 50mm focal length. =

My recommendation is that you do a baseline guidelog by following these steps, and make sure you know how to determine things like your pixel size and focal length of your guidescope:

If you continue to get the error you mention, try connecting to your mount and loop the camera, and use the manual guide tool in PHD to ensure your mount can move in all four directions via PHD

Brian

Brian Valente

Edward Moore

Sep 23, 2021, 5:13:22 PM9/23/21
to Open PHD Guiding
No its not 50mm, its 242mm, a skywatcher  Evoguide 50, I thought I had set the focal length to 242 here:

phd2.png

Brian Valente

Sep 23, 2021, 5:21:23 PM9/23/21
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi Edward

I see that you had it at 50mm and then you changed it, good

You should make sure your EQMod settings are corrected according to these settings:

right now your guidespeed is way too low at 1.5as, which I think is the default for EQMod

Brian Valente

Sep 23, 2021, 5:23:30 PM9/23/21
to Open PHD Guiding
PS

i still recommend you follow the steps for creating a baseline. Your sky area for calibration was way off from DEC 0

Edward Moore

Sep 23, 2021, 5:35:11 PM9/23/21
to Open PHD Guiding
 Thanks all. Will review tomorrow. I am somewhat limited by what I can see from the garden, its surrounded by walls and trees so my astro is mainly "straight up"

Brian Valente

Sep 23, 2021, 6:10:27 PM9/23/21
to Open PHD Guiding
>>>  Thanks all. Will review tomorrow. I am somewhat limited by what I can see from the garden, its surrounded by walls and trees so my astro is mainly "straight up"

well at least you have the best part of the sky to image ;)

Edward Moore

Sep 24, 2021, 3:03:18 PM9/24/21
to Open PHD Guiding
I am at step 3 in these instructions and I need to know at this point, before I click calibrate should the mount be tracking or not?

My instinct says it should be, but its not specified. Can anyone confirm that the answer here is "Yes"?
phd3.png

Brian Valente

Sep 24, 2021, 3:06:35 PM9/24/21
to Open PHD Guiding
Yes your mount should be tracking at this point

Edward Moore

Sep 24, 2021, 3:08:24 PM9/24/21
to Open PHD Guiding
Great thanks. I think I am getting a little confused becaused if I start the mount tracking via EQMOD then start the calibration in PHD it seemed to stop the tracking in EQMOD, but if I just kick off the calibration I think that seemed to start the mount tracking anyway.

Edward Moore

Sep 24, 2021, 3:19:04 PM9/24/21
to Open PHD Guiding
Yeah I just ran that routine and the mount stops tracking. I have recorded the whole process so I will post that in a sec. most confused.

Brian Valente

Sep 24, 2021, 3:35:26 PM9/24/21
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
 I do not think you are alone in this. There is some discussion about EQmod turning off tracking or you having to manually enable tracking at some point. You might look into an EQmod or someone here may  know.

Edward Moore

Sep 24, 2021, 4:00:04 PM9/24/21
to Open PHD Guiding
Looks like I am a couple of versions behind on EQMOD so I will update that. I disabled a couple of checkboxes about clients not coping with ascom errors, that seemed to help a little. I managed to get through to the next part of the routine.

Edward Moore

Sep 24, 2021, 5:28:26 PM9/24/21
to Open PHD Guiding
Finally! I think its working all integrated with NINA, I am so nervous to touch it I am writing this on another machine, the final bit of the puzzle appears to have been unchecking the "Mount limits" checkbox in EQMOD .

Thanks for all the help. It did moan a little bit about being calibrated too far from the equator but since I am boxed in it's going to have to learn to like it. :)

Ed.

Brian Valente

Sep 24, 2021, 5:34:02 PM9/24/21
to Open PHD Guiding
>>>Thanks for all the help. It did moan a little bit about being calibrated too far from the equator but since I am boxed in it's going to have to learn to like it. :)

sometimes bad breath is better than no breath? :)

Avoid calibrating near the poles and avoid near the horizon. you should be okay

Edward Moore

Sep 24, 2021, 5:42:06 PM9/24/21
to Open PHD Guiding
I think it was pointing at Mizar or Deneb when it decided to all play nicely together.