Why is "CAL" Icon at Lower Right--- Yellow?

BigDan

May 10, 2021, 12:11:56 PM5/10/21
to Open PHD Guiding
I recently switched to the new Beta version of PHD2 with multi-star guiding (2.6.9dev4).  I did not perform a new calibration.... used a really good one I did in March.  I have noticed the CAL icon at lower right is yellow.  I have not tried turning off "Use Multiple Stars", or doing another calibration.  I am guessing it is telling me I need to do another calibration.... is that correct?  How do I find out why it is telling me that if that is the case?  Do you necessarily have to re-calibrate if you switch to multi-star guiding?

Thank you.

Dan

Brian Valente

May 10, 2021, 12:14:03 PM5/10/21
to Open PHD Guiding
>>>  How do I find out why it is telling me that if that is the case?

if you hover your mouse over it, it will tell you what it means

Brian

Brian Valente

bw_msgboard

May 10, 2021, 12:19:19 PM5/10/21
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

Hover the mouse cursor over the yellow icon and it will tell you what it’s unhappy about.  For example, it may be warning you that PHD2 isn’t currently getting pointing info from the mount or maybe you have Dec compensation turned off.  None of this has anything to do with multi-star guiding or the recent release.  Nearly all the controls and icons in PHD2 will show these “tooltip” messages if you hover the mouse cursor over them.

Bruce

BigDan

May 10, 2021, 1:46:17 PM5/10/21
to Open PHD Guiding
You know.... I did turn DEC Comp off in PHD2, because I am experimenting with just using DEC Comp at various settings using the Gemini 2 system on the mount.  I had been told in the past you should not use DEC Comp at both places because they can conflict.

I'll hover the mouse.... thank you both.

BigDan

May 13, 2021, 3:07:45 PM5/13/21
to Open PHD Guiding
I have not returned to my dark site; however, I am running 2.6.9dev4 on a computer at my current location.  In running the PHD2 simulator, I notice "CAL" is also yellow with the simulator.  In hovering the mouse, I see, "Calibrated scope pointing information not available."  I have checked around in the guide settings, and I can't see something additional that should be enabled.

What does this message mean?  Is it a little bug in the Beta version?

Brian Valente

May 13, 2021, 3:19:38 PM5/13/21
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi Dan

Are you connected to a real mount (which would have pointing information) or a simulated mount (which may not have pointing information)?

Keep in mind simlulators are to test basic connections, practice use of software, etc. it's not actually guiding

Brian

BigDan

May 13, 2021, 3:45:09 PM5/13/21
to Open PHD Guiding
OK..... I was using the simulator.  I will hover the mouse with camera and mount connected down at my dark site.  I suppose my thinking was that I had not noticed a yellow CAL before with simulator in prior versions.  I'll get back on this if I still can't figure it out when on my computer at the dark site.

Thank you.