Just getting started using PHD2

John Gianforte

May 12, 2021, 12:44:12 AM5/12/21
to Open PHD Guiding
I have just downloaded my first copy of PHD2 to help me obtain excellent polar alignment using the drift tool. When I try to configure it to run on my computer, and when I go to select the mount, there are no mounts to select.  The only options visible are:
GPINT278
GPINT 378
GPINT #BC
GOUSB
INDI Mount
None
On-AO
On-camera
No common mount names are available to select. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
John in Durham, NH

bw_msgboard

May 12, 2021, 1:15:25 AM5/12/21
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

Well, probably your biggest mistake is not reading the manual. J  You can do that with the built-in Help facility in PHD2 or by using our web site:

https://openphdguiding.org/documentation/

In particular, you need to read the Basic Use section, especially the equipment connection paragraphs.  You will need to learn about the various choices you have for mount connections and especially the ASCOM options.  Then be sure to study the best-practices document:

https://openphdguiding.org/phd2-best-practices/

If you spend some time coming up to speed on all the basics, you will save yourself a lot of time and frustration.

Good luck,

Bruce

mj.w...@gmail.com

May 12, 2021, 4:04:48 AM5/12/21
to Open PHD Guiding
I'm not one of the experts, but I have every sympathy for Bruce.

Everybody, give them a break !

You can see that they have quite a workload investigating the obscure problems.

If you can't find the ON button, read the handbook before calling the Super User !

Michael
Wiltshire UK

Brian Valente

May 12, 2021, 10:47:15 AM5/12/21
to Open PHD Guiding
John

Chances are you need to download the specific driver for your mount, along with the ASCOM platform https://ascom-standards.org/

Many of the mount drivers are listed on that site on the left side under Downloads/telescopes mounts

Brian

--
Brian

Brian Valente

George Shoup

May 12, 2021, 10:58:39 AM5/12/21
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian:

I am a little confused about the ASCOM drivers available on the ASCOM site as opposed to drivers available within PHD, which past
posts suggest can be different.

Why are different drives available for the same equipment?

George

Brian Valente

May 12, 2021, 11:01:36 AM5/12/21
to Open PHD Guiding
George

The "built in drivers" are native drivers or other special-purpose versions (such as simulators)

Although i haven't checked, i'm fairly certain no ASCOM drivers are included with the PHD install

That's sort of the idea of ASCOM - the software does not know and does not *need* to know what happens behind the ascom connection

Brian

George Shoup

May 12, 2021, 11:16:26 AM5/12/21
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification.  I always pull my ZWO drivers from the ZWO website.  These drivers seem to work fine with PHD.

Sent from my iPhone

Brian Valente

May 12, 2021, 11:36:03 AM5/12/21
to Open PHD Guiding
ZWO has both a built-in native driver as well as the ASCOM drivers (which, as you pointed out, have to be downloaded from their site)

in either case, the latest underlying ZWO camera drivers have to be installed (again, available from their website) for any of the above to work

I hope that helps

Brian