Asi 120 or QHY5L-II ? Which is better ?

Sencelles Observatory

Jan 11, 2022, 4:30:10 PM1/11/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Anyone has experiencia with both cameras ? Which prefers ?

Brian Valente

Jan 11, 2022, 4:37:17 PM1/11/22
to Open PHD Guiding
I have used both and they are both perfectly fine guide cameras. i would be happy with either

I have heard earlier ASI120 cameras have hardware issues related to USB, i can't verify that, but i do believe it's been addressed in the USB 3.0 versions

QHY camera is very sensitive and compact. QHY had issues with drivers for quite some time, but i've found they recently (within the last year) addressed that and it works fine now

I don't really have a preference one way or the other, so maybe it boils down to price? i would definitely not buy a used 120

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 1:30 PM Sencelles Observatory <sencelleso...@gmail.com> wrote:
Anyone has experiencia with both cameras ? Which prefers ?

Brian

Brian Valente

almcl

Jan 11, 2022, 4:40:50 PM1/11/22
to Open PHD Guiding
I had a QHY 5L ii for a while but the USB connector was badly soldered to the circuit board and the very heavy and inflexible cable supplied with the camera helped  break the socket.

I have had an ASI 120mm for 4 years or so now and it still works just fine.  Sensitivity is about the same on both and I've never had a problem with finding a guide star with my OAG in 1000 mm focal length OTA.

Miguel Gutiérrez Páez

Jan 11, 2022, 4:51:26 PM1/11/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
I have the QHY. So far so good! No problems with driver, although I use indi, no ascom. No opinion about the 120 since I did never try it.

Sencelles Observatory

Jan 12, 2022, 7:00:51 AM1/12/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Thank you very much for your opinions, they are all very useful !!!!
I also had a problem with the USB socket of a Qhy5L-II, and since I want to replace it, I ask for opinions between QHY and ASI 120.
My only fear with the ASI 120 is that it will not focus well on the QHY mini-scope, and the fear with the QHY5L-II is that it will have problems with the USB port again.
Best regards !!
Mario