South Moves - Test Failed, Insufficient Corrections in Dec

Todd Farnham

May 13, 2021, 6:16:32 PM5/13/21
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi there, I was wondering if someone could help me. Every time I run the Guiding Assistant with Measure Dec Backlash, I always get the following warning. This is a fairly new CGX mount (under a year), my guide scope has clear and sharp stars, and as far as I can tell, my mount is perfectly balanced. I polar aligned in Sharpcap to their Excellent Polar Alignment rating.

*Mount never established consistent south moves - test failed*

When I ran a regular calibration and guiding, I was fine for most of the night with both axis running seemingly tracking very well for 4 to 5 minute exposures.

Later in the night though, I did point my scope to a very high target, and eventually my guiding totally failed with this warning. Can anyone tell from my debug log if there's anything obviously wrong with my mount, settings, or anything else? Thank you for your help.

*PHD2 is not able to make sufficient corrections in Dec.*

https://openphdguiding.org/logs/dl/PHD2_logs_aCZL.zip

Brian Valente

May 13, 2021, 6:43:32 PM5/13/21
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi Todd

I would not sweat the 'little southern movement' message, that is more informational and does not indicate a failed calibration

your last calibration looks okay

the problem is there is no guiding being sent to your DEC  - it looks like you have DEC guiding in North only - not sure why you don't have auto enabled?

you can see what's happening is your corrections are only needed in one direction, but you limited it, so eventually it just flies of the screen.

image.png

  enabling AUTO for DEC should solve this

image.png

Brian

Brian Valente

bval...@gmail.com

May 13, 2021, 7:22:45 PM5/13/21
to Open PHD Guiding
Todd - PS:

i forgot the southern movement was removed from the calibration routine, so it must have happened for you in the Guiding Assistant portion.

It can be a concern, but for the moment, get DEC auto enabled and get that axis responding, and you can revisit the DEC backlash once you've got it basically running

Brian

Todd Farnham

May 14, 2021, 1:01:28 AM5/14/21
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi Brian, thanks so much, I'm not sure how it got set to that ever, I don't believe I've ever touched that setting. I'll test it out whenever I can get out with clear weather again.