Declination excursions on AVX mount

Giacomo Di Mase

Sep 14, 2021, 10:54:08 AM9/14/21
to Open PHD Guiding

Hello,

I've think I have been partially successful in stabilizing PHD2, but during a guiding session (as seen in log 27) a few times DEC decides to run off. I don't understand why this is happening. I thought it might a be problem with cable pulling the mount or something physical, but checking while guiding everything looked fine.

Also, any help of reducing RA?

Thanks,

G.

here are the logs

George Shoup

Sep 14, 2021, 11:44:28 AM9/14/21
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
I had this happen when my dec balance was way off when imaging near the pole.

Giacomo Di Mase

Sep 15, 2021, 12:18:53 PM9/15/21
to Open PHD Guiding
Thx George in fact I was imaging The Wizard nebula. I have my declination balanced camera heavy on a C8 and Nikon D750. How did you properly balance your Dec?

George Shoup

Sep 15, 2021, 12:42:58 PM9/15/21
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
I have a C11 scope and G11 mount with a 0.7 reducer and a zwo 2600 camera.  This makes for a long assembly.  I balance by gravity with the dec shaft parallel to the ground. At large dec angles like sometimes occur when imaging the Iris in Cephus, the dec balance is no longer good at large angle, and requires further adjustment.
 Sometimes I use a digital fishing scale for more accuracy, but usually only on the RA where Losmandy mounts have significant friction even with a loose clutch.

Sent from my iPhone