Comets

Billy McLean

Jan 19, 2023, 10:06:13 AM1/19/23
to Open PHD Guiding
IS there a tutorial or YouTube for using comet guiding the instructions are spare and I'm a little thick headed and need help.

Brian Valente

Jan 19, 2023, 10:19:12 AM1/19/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
I don't think so - at least I couldn't find one. It would be a nice one to have

It's not that complicated from a PHD perspective, you just enable comet tracking and enter the rate

The trick is finding out what are those rates. As mentioned in the documentation, you can use a planetarium program like cartes du ciel to automatically populate that value

You can also use NINA and its Orbitals plug in to automatically set that value as well.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 7:06 AM Billy McLean <billym...@gmail.com> wrote:
IS there a tutorial or YouTube for using comet guiding the instructions are spare and I'm a little thick headed and need help.

Brent Boshart

Jan 21, 2023, 4:11:22 PM1/21/23
to Open PHD Guiding
Is there API documentation on how to send the comet rate data to PHD2?

Brian Valente

Jan 21, 2023, 5:07:31 PM1/21/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
Orbitals plugin has the source available and sets PHD's comet rates, this might help as an example?

Brian Valente

Jan 21, 2023, 5:12:46 PM1/21/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com
PS here's the openphd wiki including developer info

bw_m...@earthlink.net

Jan 21, 2023, 5:34:20 PM1/21/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

All the API documentation is in the same place, here: https://github.com/OpenPHDGuiding/phd2/wiki/EventMonitoring

Look for methods that begin with set_lock_shift.  An example of acceptable parameters are

    // "params":[{"rate":[3.3,1.1],"units":"arcsec/hr","axes":"RA/Dec"}]

    // or

    // "params":{"rate":[3.3,1.1],"units":"arcsec/hr","axes":"RA/Dec"}

Rates can be specified in units of arc-sec/hr or pixels/hr.

Bruce

Brent Boshart

Jan 21, 2023, 5:57:10 PM1/21/23
to Open PHD Guiding