Polar Alignment Error

Daniel Pozzi

Apr 12, 2023, 4:12:21 PM4/12/23
to Open PHD Guiding
I use PHD2 and a Star Tracker Adventurer 2i. When I review my guidance with the Guidance Assistant tool, I see a parameter Polar Alignment Error, considering my mount, what is an acceptable number to start working with? I'm at 10 arc-sec.
On the other hand, regardless of the alignment mode used, is this parameter reliable?
Thanks and regards

mj.w...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2023, 4:45:33 AM4/13/23
to Open PHD Guiding
PA error causes Dec to drift.
If you have Dec guiding and the error is low, the Dec guiding corrects that drift.
With no Dec guiding you need a low PA error.
The GA measures how far Dec has drifted with guiding off, so is an accurate measurement.
You say 10arcsecs - do you mean 10arcmins ?
Michael
Wiltshire UK