License of the EMML engine?

Tyrell Perera

Oct 7, 2009, 10:18:22 AM10/7/09
to open-mashu...@googlegroups.com
I couldn't find any license information for the EMML engine (emml.jar in particular). Is this Open Source or proprietary? For instance if one is to integrate the EMML engine in an Open Source project what are the options available?

thanks,
Tyrell

Deepak Alur

Oct 7, 2009, 12:25:40 PM10/7/09
to open-mashu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
At the time of download the license and terms would have been displayed (see http://www.openmashup.org/download/agreement.html)
Additionally, the License information is provided in the README.html included in the zip file you downloaded.
The EMML engine is a "reference implementation". The license information is below:

The EMML Schema and EMML Runtime Reference Engine are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Extensions to the EMML Schema that include the EMML Schema in its entirety and define all extensions in a namespace separate from the EMML namespaces are
considered a Creative Commons 'Collection' and are not considered a Derivative Work under this license.

EMML samples and documentation (including this document) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike Unites States License

thanks
--
deepak alur | vp engineering @ jackbe | +1-510-5895608 | email | follow me | linkedin | blog | download presto | open mashup alliance

Scott Wilson

Oct 20, 2009, 4:40:33 AM10/20/09
to Open Mashup Alliance Interest Group
If its "no derivs" then it must be some sort of closed source.
However, without more clarity beyond this its probably not safe to use
in any product, whether OSS or proprietary.

If its intended to be an open reference implementation, then I would
encourage Jackbe to contribute the core source code of "emml.jar" to
the Apache Incubator:

http://incubator.apache.org/

On Oct 7, 5:25 pm, Deepak Alur <deepak.a...@jackbe.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> At the time of download the license and terms would have been displayed
> (seehttp://www.openmashup.org/download/agreement.html)
> Additionally, the License information is provided in the README.html
> included in the zip file you downloaded.
> The EMML engine is a "reference implementation". The license information
> is below:
>
> The EMML Schema and EMML Runtime Reference Engine are licensed under a
> Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
> Extensions to the EMML Schema that include the EMML Schema in its
> entirety and define all extensions in a namespace separate from the EMML
> namespaces are
> considered a Creative Commons 'Collection' and are not considered a
> Derivative Work under this license.
>
> EMML samples and documentation (including this document) are licensed
> under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike Unites States License
>
> thanks
> --
> deepak alur | vp engineering @ jackbe <http://www.jackbe.com> |
> +1-510-5895608 | email <mailto:deepaka...@jackbe.com> | follow me
> <http://www.twitter.com/deepakalur> | linkedin
> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/deepakalur> | blog
> <http://deepakalur.wordpress.com/> | download presto
> <http://www.jackbe.com/dev> | open mashup alliance
> <http://www.openmashup.org>

Ben Davey

Nov 23, 2009, 6:44:06 PM11/23/09
to Open Mashup Alliance Interest Group
Hi,

This makes me somewhat confused. If I make an app that relies on the
included reference runtime's output, is it considered a "derivative
work"? To what extent can I rely on the runtime for the operation of
my OSS application? Can I extract emml.jar and use it in my codebase,
but not call it directly?

Thanks,

Ben

On Oct 20, 6:40 pm, Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wil...@gmail.com>