Googlers, is this project dead?

Andreas B

Oct 28, 2021, 4:05:06 AM10/28/21
to Plus Codes Community Forum
I brought up the fact that several issues over on GitHub need moderation or some other form of maintainer decision half a year ago. While that has led to individual issues being closed, it hasn't really changed the fact that the project feels dead.

Pull requests are constantly failing even in those cases where the failing code (or any code at all) hasn't been touched. This was brought up in issue #436 in April, yet nothing has been fixed so far.

In turn, this has led to several other PR not being handled for several months, among them very small and likely uncontroversial issues such as my own #460.

Last but not least, there has been a huge PR (#463) with the goal to completely rewrite (and in parts change) specifications, something that I feel needs several more pairs of eyes than just mine, and probably a statement by the project owner if a PR of that massive scope even has a chance of being accepted.

So, can we get not only some activity to fix the mentioned issues, but also a more general statement about the future of this project and its repo?

Bill S

Oct 29, 2021, 6:14:06 PM10/29/21
to Plus Codes Community Forum
Hi Andreas, sorry for the lack of activity and thanks for all your contributions in the meantime (in particular the very reasonable feedback on #463).

The plus codes eng team has been occupied with related projects (e.g. https://9to5google.com/2021/09/29/googles-new-address-maker-app-will-let-communities-create-functional-addresses-quickly/), but we're hoping to give the open source project the improvements it deserves once we have some time free up.

Thanks for your patience,
Bill