Plus code doesn't match address

Timo Stiebeling

Sep 13, 2021, 3:04:02 AM9/13/21
to Plus Codes Community Forum
Dear all,

I used https://plus.codes/ to generate a plus code. However, when I enter this code into Google Maps, I get a (slightly) different address. Do you have experience which tool generates the right codes?

Thanks a lot

Andreas B

Sep 13, 2021, 4:53:27 AM9/13/21
to Plus Codes Community Forum
Can you give an example of the difference you are seeing? If you are not confident with sharing the exact plus code you generated, for example for privacy reasons, perhaps you can just generate one in a different city?

Generally speaking, it isn't that simple to define the "right code" for any given location in the first place. For example, my house has a footprint touching six different 10-digit codes, or 40 different 11-digit codes. I know where the main entrance is, so that's the code I would hand out - but Google Maps perhaps doesn't and uses some other heuristic instead. So, if you know what service the "receivers" of your plus code will mostly use, it makes sense to generate a code using the same service.