Maintenance, especially GitHub issues

Andreas B

Mar 13, 2021, 9:35:48 AM3/13/21
to Plus Codes Community Forum
Hi everyone, especially Google people,

is this project still actively maintained? I just replied to someone who opened a new issue over on GitHub, and from a short survey it looks as if many of the currently open issues are actually resolved (or never were proper code issues to begin with) and can be closed.

Is there any way I could help with that, for example by tagging issues as "solved"?

Bill S

Mar 16, 2021, 2:22:18 PM3/16/21
to Plus Codes Community Forum
Hi Andreas, thanks for replying to that issue!

Folks from Google monitor this project and approve pull requests, but mainly rely on the community for changes, so you're definitely welcome and encouraged to tag resolved issues.

Cheers, Bill

Andreas B

Mar 17, 2021, 9:02:29 AM3/17/21
to Plus Codes Community Forum
Hi Bill,

thanks for the reply. For what it's worth, it's hard to tell from your username here if you are Google folk yourself - I assume you are because there's a similar username reviewing and merging over on GitHub. ;)

Can you suggest a good way to tag those issues? I'm obviously not allowed to add labels or anything, so it seems the only way would be to comment on (sometimes very outdated) issues - which could be considered rude or have the side effect of resurrecting off-topic discussions on those issues.

Here are some random issues that could, IMO, be closed - just the easy one's, not really having a detailed look when it comes to implementation requests:
#424 - off-topic, just mentioning some map POI
#399 - off-topic; potential bug on plus.codes website, not with OLC technology itself
#394 - seems as if I answered to OP's satisfaction last July
#387 - seems as if I answered to OP's satisfaction last March
#354 - problem with Google Map's implementation of choosing the proper reference location while shortening; not a problem with OLC itself

Bill S

Mar 17, 2021, 5:57:57 PM3/17/21
to Plus Codes Community Forum
Yup that's me :)

Thanks for the suggestions--I closed those issues. Feel free to comment on issues that look ready to close or flag them on this mailing list and I can do another pass. I see there are a couple feature requests out there for GitHub to support proposed labels, which seems like it would be pretty helpful here...

Cheers, Bill

Andreas B

Apr 23, 2021, 5:30:00 AM4/23/21
to Plus Codes Community Forum
There has been some recent activity over on GitHub, so here's another pass at issues that could probably be closed, or otherwise be dealt with:

#65 - oldest open issue. Someone offered code translation to TCL, but this ultimately went nowhere. User has since deleted his GitHub account, so it's likely impossible to work out proper attribution etc. for the code made available in a zip file
#126 - another issue with Google Maps or the plus.codes website, so can only be decided one way or the other by a Googler
#134 - replied to, not actually a bug/issue
#155 - replied to, not actually a bug/issue
#248 - replied to, seems outside of OLC scope; Doug explicitly stated that he doesn't see this progressing on your end
#358 - discussing the merits of OLC vs. other technologies; this comparison is already a part of the documentation, so no current issue; discussion seems to have run its course
#371 - Doug suggested rephrasing the Wiki, which has been accepted by creator of the issue. Apparently, the Wiki can only be edited by the repo owner(?), so please do and close this one as fixed.

Bill Steinmetz (㌱)

May 3, 2021, 5:02:58 PM5/3/21
to Andreas B, Plus Codes Community Forum
Done, thanks again!

--
Public site: http://www.openlocationcode.com/
Github project: https://github.com/google/open-location-code

Andreas B

Sep 20, 2022, 11:31:38 AM9/20/22
to Plus Codes Community Forum

Andreas B

Sep 21, 2022, 6:25:57 AM9/21/22
to Plus Codes Community Forum
Another check reveals that
https://github.com/google/open-location-code/issues/442 - has been fixed in code, and can be closed
https://github.com/google/open-location-code/issues/466 - is another Google Maps issue, and can be closed as well.

Also, if I could get a comment if a PR as outlined in #500 would not be welcome, that would be appreciated. Otherwise, I'm getting to work in the next few days.

Andreas B

Oct 5, 2022, 3:57:00 AM10/5/22
to Plus Codes Community Forum

Huroye Scott

Oct 5, 2022, 10:27:00 AM10/5/22
to Andreas B, Plus Codes Community Forum
I am looking for some guidance on Plus Code implementation. If you can help please send me an email.

Thanks,

Roy

Andreas B

Oct 5, 2022, 11:10:06 AM10/5/22
to Plus Codes Community Forum
Hi Roy,

if it is something I can help you with, I'm happy to do that right here on the mailing list. Just open a new conversation with your questions. :)

Andreas B

Oct 6, 2022, 12:16:40 PM10/6/22
to Plus Codes Community Forum
https://github.com/google/open-location-code/issues/138 - relevant Q/A quoted from FAQ.txt should be added to the Wiki FAQ, then this issue be closed.

https://github.com/google/open-location-code/issues/161 - four years ago, a "Google-internal" discussion was supposedly started to find out where expanded functionality should go. If any progress has been made on that internal thread, please add the outcome to the issue. If none, the issue might as well be closed as "out of scope" for this project.

https://github.com/google/open-location-code/issues/278 - seems as if the original question has been answered; unsure if anything needs to be added based on the discussion; if not, close this issue - otherwise, let's discuss what exactly should be added where.

https://github.com/google/open-location-code/issues/343 - seems as if this could be closed, partially because it is out of scope insofar as it discusses Google Maps, and on top of that with a reference to the new FAQ addition, similar to https://github.com/google/open-location-code/issues/497 and other recently closed issues.

https://github.com/google/open-location-code/issues/483 - can be closed after accepting #502

Pankaj Raina

May 30, 2023, 5:39:48 AM5/30/23
to Andreas B, Plus Codes Community Forum
Is there a way to get distance between 2 plus codes in KM unit?

Regards

Pankaj Raina

Andreas B

May 30, 2023, 5:51:57 AM5/30/23
to Plus Codes Community Forum
Not directly. The best way to do this would be to convert both codes back to lat/long, and then implement the Haversine formula: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haversine_formula

Rasťo Šrámek

May 30, 2023, 6:32:29 AM5/30/23
to Pankaj Raina, Andreas B, Plus Codes Community Forum
You can use the S2 geometry library, specifically the S2Earth class, to calculate the distance between two lat/longs.