USB TO RS485 Configuration

parth sanepara

Jul 5, 2023, 7:40:37 AM7/5/23
to open-lighting
Hi

I have USB to RS485 converter. I want to use RS485 output connect in to DMX light.
i want to know it will be work with OLA. if work then what settings I need to config.
I am using Raspberry pi 3B+ with raspbian os (64 bit bullseyes).

Thanks

Joni-Pekka Kurronen

Jul 5, 2023, 8:06:57 AM7/5/23
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have same plan! Basically it can receive as well. Drivers might Be programmed For certain ships Even prevented to use other chip makers chips. I guess some driver could Work out of box. At least after modifications.

I have Been wondering why ITS not documented,... this can Be sales profit  questions.

Joni

--
The Open Lighting Project: open-l...@googlegroups.com, #openlighting (irc.freenode.org)

Michael Ryan

Jul 5, 2023, 5:29:25 PM7/5/23
to open-lighting
Hi Team

Take a look at the documentation - Yes you can attach USB to DMX dongles (RS485).

Joni - there is no "sales profit" to be had in this project..... Its an open source project that people like you and I contribute to, and utilise for free. Your welcome to contribute towards a rewrite of the documentation if you wish - perhaps others might appreciate this effort. As per the "About" section of the website:  The Open Lighting Project is a group of people from around the world who have the common goal of producing open source & free software solutions for the entertainment lighting industry.

Michael

Joni-Pekka Kurronen

Jul 6, 2023, 7:58:01 AM7/6/23
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Michael,  yes Ola project IS but IT uses underlaying drivers and code. You can not Day so about ftdi related chips, drivers and code. Also some Brands do code For their own distribution.

IT can Be we participate whit instructions, tutorial and practise,...

Ola project IS grate!

rbalykov

Jul 6, 2023, 10:40:46 AM7/6/23
to open-lighting
In general case, it doesn't work. In other cases it works like a piece of crap.

First, chips could be restricted to standard baudrates (9600, etc) and unsupport 250k.
Second, BREAK handling in POSIX is fine for 1900's teletypes and not fine for DMX, it can't be set to 96 microseconds, only 250/1000 milliseconds, which makes thing useless.

среда, 5 июля 2023 г. в 14:40:37 UTC+3, parth_s...@thingularitynow.com:

E.S. Rosenberg

Jul 6, 2023, 12:58:47 PM7/6/23
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
It depends on what you use also, if break detection has to happen in kernel space of the computer then the non-realtime character of Linux will mess you up, but if it is happening at the IC level like with an FTDI chip you should be fine as long as you read your buffers in time.

Op do 6 jul 2023 om 17:40 schreef rbalykov <rbal...@yandex.ru>:
--
The Open Lighting Project: open-l...@googlegroups.com, #openlighting (irc.freenode.org)

rbalykov

Jul 6, 2023, 1:15:52 PM7/6/23
to open-lighting
Topicstarter wants to SEND bytes, not to receive.

Also: I have a linux kernel module for things like this, maybe it will help.
четверг, 6 июля 2023 г. в 19:58:47 UTC+3, Keeper of the Keys:

E.S. Rosenberg

Jul 6, 2023, 2:11:18 PM7/6/23
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Same applies to send.