rp2040-dmxsun

sketchy human

Dec 2, 2023, 11:21:32 AM12/2/23
to open-lighting
Hey,

I was taking a look at this project, https://github.com/OpenLightingProject/rp2040-dmxsun, I want to know if this is just theoretical or if someone has made a working prototype of it?

Thanks,

mic...@cubic.org

Dec 2, 2023, 2:17:40 PM12/2/23
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
from my point of view it looks prommising. The schematics are well organized and the layouts look good. The README is well structured and contains the relevant information. His recommendations on how to start without the boards makes sense and once you know the rp2040 firmware does what it should it is not much of a deal to get the pcb's manufactured. You could start with the 2port isolated rdm ports, and either of the carrier boards.

Michael

--
The Open Lighting Project: open-l...@googlegroups.com, #openlighting (irc.freenode.org)

Peter Newman

Dec 2, 2023, 5:36:06 PM12/2/23
to open-lighting
Hi,

I put it on a Pico in the past, but didn't connect any DMX hardware, just proved it talked over USB over Ethernet.

kripton who's the main developer mentioned back here that he'd ordered some of the PCBs before, I'm sure he'd have done simpler prototyping before that:

sketchy human

Dec 3, 2023, 10:45:37 AM12/3/23
to open-lighting
Thanks for this, I will try this project, and see how it goes. I will come back here if I get stuck.

E.S. Rosenberg

Dec 4, 2023, 1:24:29 PM12/4/23
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Looks really cool - an rp2040 is powerful enough to drive 16 uarts?
Eli

Jannis Achstetter

Dec 4, 2023, 4:57:34 PM12/4/23
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Hey :) kripton here, main developer of the dmxsun here :)

Yes, this is real, I was able to drive several fixtures with it. As I
said in the readme, it's not a final product and not finished in any
way. I did some changes to the hardware/schematics that I didn't yet had
the chance to verify and make sure the code is in sync with the changes.

Apart from yet: Yes, it does what it says.

Regarding driving 16 UARTs: It's not a single UART, it's more like a
pre-prepared bitfield that is being clocked out of the pins via DMA.
That's also why it doesn't do DMX IN or RDM. There are some initial
attempts but no break-through yet.

Jannis

Am 04.12.23 um 19:24 schrieb E.S. Rosenberg:
> [...]
>
> On Saturday, 2 December 2023 at 19:17:40 UTC mic...@cubic.org wrote:
>
> Hi,
> from my point of view it looks prommising. The schematics
> are well organized and the layouts look good. The README is
> well structured and contains the relevant information. His
> recommendations on how to start without the boards makes
> sense and once you know the rp2040 firmware does what it
> should it is not much of a deal to get the pcb's
> manufactured. You could start with the 2port isolated rdm
> ports, and either of the carrier boards.
>
> Michael
>
> 02.12.2023 17:21:42 sketchy human <sketchyh...@gmail.com>:
>
> Hey,
>
> I was taking a look at this project,
> https://github.com/OpenLightingProject/rp2040-dmxsun
> <https://github.com/OpenLightingProject/rp2040-dmxsun>,
> I want to know if this is just theoretical or if someone
> has made a working prototype of it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> The Open Lighting Project: open-l...@googlegroups.com,
> #openlighting (irc.freenode.org <http://irc.freenode.org>)
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to
> the Google Groups "open-lighting" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails
> from it, send an email to open-lightin...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/open-lighting/b5eb2f16-a819-43d3-b506-938f4b7a42afn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/open-lighting/b5eb2f16-a819-43d3-b506-938f4b7a42afn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> The Open Lighting Project: open-l...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:open-l...@googlegroups.com>, #openlighting
> (irc.freenode.org <http://irc.freenode.org>)
> ---
> Groups "open-lighting" group.
> send an email to open-lightin...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:open-lightin...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/open-lighting/43682909-2491-4669-8c20-862a4c404871n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/open-lighting/43682909-2491-4669-8c20-862a4c404871n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> The Open Lighting Project: open-l...@googlegroups.com, #openlighting
> (irc.freenode.org)
> Groups "open-lighting" group.
> an email to open-lightin...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:open-lightin...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/open-lighting/CAHxFV_s2h9t_EAe%2BOw7fQj5KKuJALksCaEtE%2Bkqy3FxxL5zWQQ%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/open-lighting/CAHxFV_s2h9t_EAe%2BOw7fQj5KKuJALksCaEtE%2Bkqy3FxxL5zWQQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

mic...@cubic.org

Dec 4, 2023, 5:12:12 PM12/4/23
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
If there is enough CPU speed, the approach with the DMA can be used with an oversampling of 8, resulting 2MS/s, which then needs to be analyzed. It World act like a protocol analyzer.

But you could also put a small FPGA on the carrier Board and talk to it via SPI or a higher speed UART. I have used an ICE40 FPGA connected to a RaspberryPI via SPI. The FPGA also does some preprocessing and makes it easier than talking to a dump UART.

Glenn Meader

Dec 4, 2023, 5:32:49 PM12/4/23
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
The RP2040 has a special high performance programmable IO feature called PIO. You can use that to directly send and receive DMX protocol without having to use a UART. (It sounds like you might already be using the PIO feature (DMA clocked bitfield)?)
https://tutoduino.fr/en/pio-rp2040-en/

sketchy human

Dec 5, 2023, 8:21:24 PM12/5/23
to open-lighting
Kripton, would you be okay if I email you directly if I run into trouble?