New to OLA, question about next release

Arthur Kho

May 5, 2021, 7:33:35 PM5/5/21
to open-lighting
Hello,

I am very new to OLA. I am currently using the latest release, OLA 0.10.8. The OlaClient.py in this release has a couple of Python 3  array.fromstring bugs that are fixed in the master branch.

Is there going to be a 0.10.9 release coming soon based on the master branch?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Art

Peter Newman

May 8, 2021, 6:25:02 AM5/8/21
to open-lighting
Hi Art,

Out of interest what OS are you on/how are you installing OLA?

Yes, there's likely to be a 0.10.9 release coming relatively soon (although I didn't realise it's already been five months since 0.10.8 came out), although it might wait a bit longer to get some other features in it too. I'm not keen to rush it out hugely quickly given that and a few other little bugs slipped through in the last release due to a lack of functional testing by people so there's nothing much to say the next thing won't have the same problem. I was hoping Python 3 support for the RDM tests would get into 0.10.9, but the way things are going that might be delayed for a future release unfortunately.

The following changes have already been committed and will definitely be in 0.10.9 (including the Python array thing you mentioned):

Also these Pull Requests will most likely end up in it too (unless something goes very wrong):

There's also a chance some of these issues may be fixed too (or they might get pushed back to a future release):

Does that sort of answer your question?

Arthur Kho

May 10, 2021, 12:28:02 PM5/10/21
to open-lighting

Hi Peter,

I am running on Big Sur on the Mac. I used brew install, thus my query on the next release date! :)

For my testing and learning purposes, I updated the OlaClient.py's updateDMXData  in the site-packages so I can run the ola_recv_dmx.py example.

Regards,

Art

Peter Newman

May 11, 2021, 6:42:05 PM5/11/21
to open-lighting
Ah okay.

Are you interested in helping with the OLA brew formula in future? Our test Mac failed so we can only use the continuous integration services now.

As you'll see from the last one, the changes to test a release is fairly minor:

It would even be possible to make a version bump within Homebrew and apply a patch to it, but if you were willing to deal with the Homebrew release I could probably sort one in the next week or two.