Possibility to drive more than 4 universes?

jan-paul van der weerd

Feb 26, 2015, 10:57:04 AM2/26/15
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I'v been the Ola environment on a raspberry pi, mainly to record and replay generated artnet between my macbbook and ledmx4 device.
Everything is working fine.

Now I want to have the possibility to record and replay to more than 4 universes, 8 in this case.
By reading the documentation Ola follows strict the artnet guidelines of only 4 universes in/out.

My question is this: If I want to have more then 4 universes do I need to buy another raspberry or is it possible
to practically extend the limitation (multihomed, convert to e1.31)?
and if so can someone point me to some guidelines.

thanks
Jan-Paul

Simon Newton

Feb 26, 2015, 10:59:14 AM2/26/15
to open-lighting
On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 4:42 AM, jan-paul van der weerd
<janpaulva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'v been the Ola environment on a raspberry pi, mainly to record and replay
> generated artnet between my macbbook and ledmx4 device.
> Everything is working fine.
>
> Now I want to have the possibility to record and replay to more than 4
> universes, 8 in this case.
> By reading the documentation Ola follows strict the artnet guidelines of
> only 4 universes in/out.
>
> My question is this: If I want to have more then 4 universes do I need to
> buy another raspberry or is it possible
> to practically extend the limitation (multihomed, convert to e1.31)?

Switching to E1.31 is your best option if your devices support it.

Simon

> and if so can someone point me to some guidelines.
>

> thanks
> Jan-Paul
>
> --
> The Open Lighting Project: open-l...@googlegroups.com, #openlighting
> (irc.freenode.org)

jan-paul van der weerd

Feb 27, 2015, 9:34:04 AM2/27/15
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Got It Working.
I converted artnet to sacn in order to record it.
Meaning 1 virtual machine for every 4 artnet streams.

Thanks

Simon Newton

Feb 27, 2015, 10:01:01 AM2/27/15
to open-lighting
You may want to look at using containers & docker rather than VMs.

Simon

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 6:34 AM, jan-paul van der weerd

Peter Newman

Feb 27, 2015, 9:24:55 PM2/27/15
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Out of curiosity, was this four nodes bridging ArtNet to E1.31 and one node recording, or four simultaneous recordings?

jan-paul van der weerd

Feb 28, 2015, 3:29:14 AM2/28/15
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Never thought about the docking/container strategy,excellent idea to investigate!

I wanted to have one file from 8 universes to convenietly replay on a raspberry.
But due to the limitaties of madmapper (only artnet no sacn) and ola ( only 4 artnet universes but 32 sacn universes) I had to convert the artnet datastream first to sacn before
I could record it.

Does this make sense?
Madmapper==>((vm1 in:artnet1/4 out:sacn1/4) +(vm2 in:artnet 5/8=> out:sacn 5/8)) ==>vm3 in:sacn1/8 olarecoder(record)=(copy to)>rpi olarecorder (play) ==> out:sacn1/8 ==> ledmx4= ledstrip

Peter Newman

Feb 28, 2015, 7:57:35 AM2/28/15
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Excellent, that's what I was thinking too, glad to hear it worked fine.

Peter Newman

Jan 5, 2017, 7:56:41 AM1/5/17
to open-lighting
Other random thoughts on this. You could define ARTNET_PORT_COUNT when compiling, which allows you to override the OLA 4 port limit and break the spec (only the first four are features in ArtPollReply IIRC).

The other option, which would need some coding, would be to extend OLA to create an ArtNet node for each suitable IP and it should then be able to bind and listen to separate alias IPs individually, providing more than 4 ArtNet ports on one physical device without VMs or containers etc.

jan-paul van der weerd

Jan 23, 2017, 8:40:29 AM1/23/17
to open-lighting
Sorry I only saw this message just now.
would it be also possible to set this in the configure options?

Jan-Paul

Peter Newman

Jan 24, 2017, 10:21:10 AM1/24/17
to open-lighting
There's also output_ports in ola-artnet.conf depending on which direction you're going:
https://github.com/OpenLightingProject/ola/tree/master/plugins/artnet#config-file-ola-artnetconf

I think you should be able to do ./configure ARTNET_PORT_COUNT=8 I believe.

Finally you could run multiple OLAds on the same physical machine if you give them different web and RPC ports to listen on, and different aliased ArtNet IPs.

jan-paul van der weerd

Jan 24, 2017, 11:55:05 AM1/24/17
to open-lighting
Hi peter,
I'm going to test that out on my mac the next coming days.
Multihomed configuration tend to give me headaches sooner or later so I stick with the ARNET_PORT_COUNT options

thank you very much.
finally an option to record 30 universes.

Jan-Paul

Ivan Kevin

Aug 25, 2021, 8:17:14 AM8/25/21
to open-lighting
Hi people,
Thank you for your multiples advices here.
I've modified the ARTNET_PORT_COUNT to 40 and compiled again OLA. Everything was ok. I can add up to 40 Universes but the address of each universe is not distinct (see the attached files)  since they are all in the same subnet and the Universe number takes 4 bits.

For those who have already got that working, how have you deal with that problem?  Could address more than 16 universes at the same time? May I create more universe in OLA using different subnet without using multihomed configuration?

Thanks in advance your reactions

uni1.PNG
uni17.PNG

Peter Newman

Aug 26, 2021, 11:53:20 AM8/26/21
to open-lighting
There appears to be a bug here, as I don't think 0:1:17 is ever a valid universe looking at:

What config did you use in OLA to create this?

I think this may just be a display and documentation thing where a function called Universe actually returns the sub-net and universe combined, which is then used untouched.

You may want to look at a Wireshark capture too given our buggy code.

Also just to flag up, the device wouldn't have to be mulit-homed, virtual IP addresses would do the trick too (although we'd need to tweak OLA a bit to create multiple devices).

Peter Newman

Aug 28, 2021, 4:42:31 PM8/28/21
to open-lighting
So the 0:1:17 thing was an easy fix, although I'm just mulling over where exactly to change the numbers long term.

Here's the relevant bit of the standard explaining why it would need a new node (which due to the listening would probably need another IP or a lot of re-writing). "For a given node, the most significant 11 bits are identical. The least significant 4 bits are defined on a per Input-Port / Output-Port basis.":