How many universes in a galaxy...

Rowan Maclachlan

Jul 9, 2021, 7:24:56 AM7/9/21
to open-lighting
Hey,

 Say for instance I want to support 256 universes of sACN,  with maybe some ArtNet and some USB...  Can OLA do this?  I what are the limits, I understand there is a limit on sACN ports that can be created?

Cheers,

Hip

Jannis Achstetter

Jul 10, 2021, 3:10:20 PM7/10/21
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

With ArtNet I think there is a limit of 4 universes per IP or something
like that.

Apart from that I wouldn't know of any limits. But you can easily
install OLA, try it out and share your experience with us then :)

Jannis

Am 09.07.21 um 13:24 schrieb Rowan Maclachlan:
> --
> The Open Lighting Project: open-l...@googlegroups.com, #openlighting
> (irc.freenode.org)
> Groups "open-lighting" group.
> an email to open-lightin...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:open-lightin...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/open-lighting/CACkA%2BzeMcVO%3DEiajbU2Qzm4Fke%3DofvPv9cnU3_3xp2fJZ9aAuw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/open-lighting/CACkA%2BzeMcVO%3DEiajbU2Qzm4Fke%3DofvPv9cnU3_3xp2fJZ9aAuw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

E.S. Rosenberg

Jul 11, 2021, 2:52:58 PM7/11/21
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
If I'm not mistaken the main issue is keeping everything in sync.
There are desks out there that will output the amount of universes you mention as ArtNet but between first availability and the feature working properly there was more than a year and they are also using FPGAs unless I'm very much mistaken.

Op za 10 jul. 2021 om 22:10 schreef Jannis Achstetter <kri...@gmail.com>:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/open-lighting/c3d9167c-895e-638c-4bc4-cbb804b387a1%40gmail.com.

Peter Newman

Jul 12, 2021, 8:11:14 AM7/12/21
to open-lighting
So sACN wise, there's the multicast limit of the computer:

There was an arbitrary limit within OLA, but people have achieved 200+ universes, so it's been bumped up:

The Art-Net limit is indeed 4 per IP to be compliant with the discovery stuff, although I think we allowed up to 16 if they're not discoverable.

In fact I'd just read that thread above, as it covers much bigger numbers than I've ever touched, and a similar use case!