Building 10.8 on Raspberry Pi - how to install as a service?

Martin Gjaldbæk

May 25, 2021, 8:29:56 PM5/25/21
to open-lighting
Hi. The latest version of OLA currently available with apt on raspbian is 10.7, but I need 10.8 (to get the `enable_eurolite_mk2` option). So I've instead built 10.8 myself using the following commands (based mostly on this guide - https://www.openlighting.org/ola/linuxinstall/):

```
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git libtool automake autoconf flake8 bison flex libcppunit-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev protobuf-compiler python-protobuf libprotoc-dev libmicrohttpd-dev uuid-dev pkg-config libncurses5-dev libftdi1 libftdi-dev libavahi-client-dev python-numpy
git clone https://github.com/OpenLightingProject/ola.git ola
cd ola
./configure --enable-python-libs --enable-http
make all
make check
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig
```

This works, and allows me to launch olad manually, but doesn't seem to install it as a service so it can launch on startup (like the 10.7 version from apt is). Is there some script or install option somewhere to also install olad as a service or are you expected to do so manually? And if it's the latter, can anyone point me to a guide or example of how to do so?

Thank you for your time (and for building and maintaining a great tool and community!)

Peter Newman

May 25, 2021, 8:42:32 PM5/25/21
to open-lighting
Hi Martin,

You should be able to just install the packages from bullseye I think:

Which is from here:
Alternatively, as you've found, make install won't push the init script (as we haven't put it in there), but you could just grab the one OLA is using in your package. This is the repo for person who does the OLA packaging on Debian, although it looks like they haven't pushed 0.10.8 to it, but I doubt much has changed in that script since then, so you could use this for the closest experience:

Finally you could also build the deb either from the OLA repo or just from the 0.10.8 Debian sources.

Actually having checked more carefully, the feature you want will be in the (unreleased) 0.11.0, so you'll need to build from master anyway in this case and the bullseye deb won't help you. You could still generate a deb if you wanted (but it's probably only relevant if you need to install it on a few boxes).

Wouter Verhelst

May 26, 2021, 11:01:38 AM5/26/21
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 05:42:32PM -0700, Peter Newman wrote:
> Hi Martin,
> You should be able to just install the packages from bullseye I think:
> http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/main/o/ola/ola_0.10.8.nojsmin-2_armhf.deb
> Which is from here:
> https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/ola

There's no guarantee that will work, though, because things might be
slightly different in terms of libraries etc. Installing .deb files
built for a different distribution is not supported for that reason.

Instead, you should download the source package, build that, and install
the resulting packages. This script should do that:

sudo apt-get install devscripts build-essential
dget https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/o/ola/ola_0.10.8.nojsmin-2.dsc
cd ola-0.10.8.nojsmin
sudo mk-build-debs -i -r
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us
sudo debi

--
w@uter.{be,co.za}
wouter@{grep.be,fosdem.org,debian.org}

Peter Newman

May 26, 2021, 10:50:03 PM5/26/21
to open-lighting
Yeah. I generally seem to get away with it most of the time, or it fails to install at all due to differing dependencies.

The main thing to note here, is it won't fix this particular issue anyway; having checked more carefully, the feature you want will be in the (unreleased) 0.11.0, so you'll need to build from master anyway in this case and the bullseye deb won't help you.

Martin Gjaldbæk

May 28, 2021, 10:04:50 AM5/28/21
to open-lighting
Thank you for pointing me to the debian package and service setup! I managed to get the service working with the 10.8 that I'd already built. And it works with Eurolite USB-DMX512 PRO MK2. (Didn't try it without the enable_eurolite_mk2 option - but as a data point, for me, 10.8 worked fine with the Eurolite Mk2 after disabling the conflicting plugins).

Again, thank you for maintaining OLA - I've used to help a friend of mine automate the light show for his band with an RPi, and he's blown away by what's possible with it :)