Dmx4linux2 Initial preview

mic...@cubic.org

Jul 3, 2022, 2:53:04 PM7/3/22
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I finally managed to put some of my effort on dmx4linux2 on github. It does not yet contain drivers for real hw as I am working on the application binding interface.
There is an experimental userspace driver for the pl11 and pc16c550 uarts for RPi and my Zynq platform. I am working on a verilator based emulation of a pc16c450 uart written in verilog. I am confident that I have it paired with the cuse based userspace drivers in a few days. In theory this enables everyone to play with the uart driver code, even with no hardware.

Michael

Peter Newman

Jul 4, 2022, 6:00:51 AM7/4/22
to open-lighting
For anyone else wondering, I think it's this repo here:
https://github.com/dermampf/dmx4linux2

mic...@cubic.org

Jul 4, 2022, 3:58:07 PM7/4/22
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Right.
In rhe simulation folder I added a simulated 16550 uart. It uses verilator, a verilog implementation of a 16550 uart and some glue logic to put it together and abstract the access to the uart. I  made it a shared library to make it is easy to use in different experiments.
It has five functions to startup,cleanup,read,write and to register an interrupt handler.

I use that as a base to implement the uart dmx driver. It is possible to write a log of the signals to a vdc file and see what happend with the uart. On the other hand it can be used to verify the driver against other verilog implementations of uarts.

You do not need any hardware at all. It is all simulated.

For physical verification against simple pc16cx50 uarts I have the idea to connect a uart to the parallel port in EPP mode.
Parallel port cards are even available for PCIe.

Michael

04.07.2022 12:00:55 Peter Newman <peterj...@gmail.com>:

--
The Open Lighting Project: open-l...@googlegroups.com, #openlighting (irc.freenode.org)