bug in standard: specify lowercase guid encoding

leobard

Dec 3, 2008, 1:17:54 PM12/3/08
to Open GUID Discussion
after section "what is an..." (http://openguid.net/specification#what)
you must add a formal description of the syntax of openguid.

say that GUIds are x-bit numbers with 5 groups that are encoded in
ASCII characters according to standard X.
Say that GUIds MUST be encoded lowercase ASCII chars!!!!

Lowercase is a must, otherwise it will all get tricky!!!!

and, of course, I would love if you link to "cool uris" in Section
"dereferencable URI"
section: http://openguid.net/specification#uri
link to this: http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/

best
Leo Sauermann

Heiko Stoermer

Dec 4, 2008, 2:47:30 AM12/4/08
to open-guid-...@googlegroups.com
Leo,

any specific reason to stick with lowercase ASCII?

Cheers,
Heiko

ja...@openguid.net

Dec 5, 2008, 6:54:04 PM12/5/08
to Open GUID Discussion
Thanks for the suggestion Leo.

While my particular implementation will resolve Open GUIDs of any
case, it is probably a good idea to standardize the URIs in practice.
For any consumer program trying to determine equality, a mixed case
comparison could cause problems.

I will add a more formal description to the next iteration of the
spec. Linking to Cool URIs seems reasonable too. Thanks!

Jason

Leo Sauermann

Dec 6, 2008, 7:33:21 AM12/6/08
to open-guid-...@googlegroups.com