Introduction

bernard

Sep 25, 2008, 8:32:14 AM9/25/08
to Open GUID Discussion
Hello there

Very interested by this initiative, which goes along the lines of what
I've been asking for years, under the general notion of "hubjects".
See http://universimmedia.blogspot.com
I've already a couple of questions/comments I will develop in separate
posts.

Bernard

ja...@openguid.net

Sep 25, 2008, 5:40:45 PM9/25/08
to Open GUID Discussion
Welcome!

I read your paper and believe your notion of perspectives is spot on.
I was struggling with the same realization.

The only part that I would object to is the phrase 'No absolute
identity'. It's like the Ship of Theseus, and I would argue that
humans can agree on some level that what they are talking about is the
same. But without getting too philosophical, I would say the Linked
Web simply needs anchored hubjects. I did limit the GUID description
length to 512 characters to help avoid any perspective-creep. And the
only reason I made it that large was because WordNet had some of that
length.

Also, thanks for the reprimand of my EU sarcasm on the LOD list. I
lived in Europe for a couple years and thought I earned some room to
jab. But I'll probably do it again :P

On Sep 25, 6:32 am, bernard <bernard.vat...@mondeca.com> wrote:
> Hello there
>
> Very interested by this initiative, which goes along the lines of what
> I've been asking for years, under the general notion of "hubjects".
> Seehttp://universimmedia.blogspot.com

bernard

Sep 26, 2008, 3:09:00 AM9/26/08
to Open GUID Discussion
Jason

The hubjects document on Mondeca Web is now quite old, and needs to be
revisited.

At the time, similar objections about the "no absolute identity" came
from Richard Cyganiak and al. who were very reluctant to follow the
"blank node" track, for technical reasons that I now have to
acknowledge. They were, and you are, absolutely right about the need
of "anchoring" hubjects, and I like the expression a lot.
Hubjects are boats sailing on the ocean, likely to be refurbished like
the Theseus, without losing identity. But they need to be anchored
somewhere to upload and deliver goods and services.
Actually I went to bed last night with this metaphor in mind, and
overnight it came to me that the "anchoring" should be both in human
signs and computer signs, and I came out with a diagram I will try to
share here if I find the "upload" button. Otherwise I will publish it
on my blog.

Bernard