getting openguid off the ground

leobard

Dec 3, 2008, 1:33:45 PM12/3/08
to Open GUID Discussion
Jason: I would not sit on my behind and wait for people to dig it,
they wont.
openguid is a last project of a long row of many unfruitful attempts,

http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#otherideas
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/URNsAndRegistries-50

The hurdle to take is quite obviously written in the second doc:
"This finding addresses the questions "When should URNs or URIs with
novel URI schemes be used to name information resources for the Web?"
and "Should registries be provided for such identifiers?". The answers
given are "Rarely if ever" and "Probably not". Common arguments in
favor of such novel naming schemas are examined, and their properties
compared with those of the existing http: URI scheme."

I am not saying that openguid is a bad idea, it is a good idea (the EU
just gave the OKKAM people a bag-o-cash to work on it, this is a
quality mark)
but you have to do more than the status quo to get it going.

you have to reach out to some "customers" to get it off the ground,
who would pay you some consulting to "openguid" his application?

for whom is this "useful"?

what is your "success story"?

From my open source projects, I know that small, simple, useful tools
that solve a real world problem will get picked up by developers. so,
find people with a problem.
(look into the OKKAM papers to see which target audience they have,
and think of industries that have this problem)
without cash flow, its going to simmer on low temp..

I am not into your target group because I think that its good to have
many id's in the wild, and I won't discuss much in this group as I am
a bit busy...

best
Leo Sauermann
http://www.leobard.net
http://leobard.twoday.net

leobard

Dec 3, 2008, 1:35:20 PM12/3/08
to Open GUID Discussion
To get you started:

for the W3C, Ivan Herman and Susie Stephens did this "Success Stories
of the Semantic Web" list, you need something comparable:
www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/
On Dec 3, 7:33 pm, leobard <l...@gnowsis.com> wrote:
> Jason: I would not sit on my behind and wait for people to dig it,
> they wont.
> openguid is a last project of a long row of many unfruitful attempts,
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#otherideashttp://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/URNsAndRegistries-50

ja...@openguid.net

Dec 5, 2008, 7:13:35 PM12/5/08
to Open GUID Discussion
Hi Leo and welcome,

I'm not sure the "attempts" you listed refer to the same problem I am
trying to solve. Most are arguments for an alternative to using HTTP
in an identifier, which Open GUID embraces. In fact, your second
resource specifically states that persistence and standardization
problems are not technical in nature, rather they are management
issues. A goal of this project is to provide management tools to
enable the identifier to be standardized and persistent.

That said, you are correct, adoption won't happen magically with a few
Diggs (which we haven't even received). I wouldn't say I've been
"sitting on my behind" figuratively, though literally it is usually
the case. Do you stand at your desk? :P

The first step was to announce the project and open a forum for
suggestions of where to integrate. I'm always looking for them. I
think it would be great to get the common identifier at the sources of
the LOD cloud, namely wikipedia; though so far my attempts have been
unsuccessful. Don't worry, I won't give up that easily.