Fwd: Open Transportation Data Policy - planning a workshop at NYU

1 view

Samuel Wong

Nov 2, 2010, 2:12:47 PM11/2/10
to mtadevelop...@googlegroups.com, Public-Transit-...@meetup.com, open-gove...@googlegroups.com, atow...@iftf.or
See below.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Anthony Townsend <atow...@iftf.org>
Date: Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 2:07 PM
Subject: Open Transportation Data Policy - planning a workshop at NYU
To: nyc-d...@googlegroups.com

Hi all, I know many of you from various places, and wanted to tap this community for some ideas about a workshop I am planning for early 2011 at NYU, where I am a Visiting Scholar at the Rudin Center for Transportation Policy and Management (http://wagner.nyu.edu/rudincenter/)

Basically, what I want to accomplish is to jumpstart a larger policy debate about the issues around open transportation data. Now that we are starting to see transit agencies everywhere open up data services, and tons of transportation data in general coming online, there needs to be some discussion about where this is all going, and how it ties into other policy and planning debates.

Some of the questions I am thinking about, and would like the workshop to be structured around:

-how can the challenges and obstacles to broader openness and transparency be addressed within the existing institutional/government context?
-how can we better understand the impacts that information has on travel patterns, decision-making, mode choice, etc etc?
-what should the role of transportation data transparency in regional transportation plans and regional transportation management?
-how can the value of transportation information be extended to underserved, disconnected populations?

I see this as a national, even global, look at the issues not just NYC / NY metro.

Am looking for additional ideas, resources, speakers, etc.

--
Samuel Wong
samwo...@gmail.com

Government is a trust, and the officers of the government are trustees. And both the trust and the trustees are created for the benefit of the people. -Henry Clay