Southern California Collaborative Planning Wiki goes public

Matt Cooperrider

Oct 7, 2010, 8:32:46 PM10/7/10
to Open Government NYC, openkollab, open-go...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I worked with the Southern California Association of Governments to help them develop strategy and tech for a planning wiki. Users can directly edit the bicycle and pedestrian plan for the entire SoCal region.

This is a pilot approach that will eventually be rolled out to the entire transit plan in 2012. Please take a look, and pass it on to anyone you know in SoCal who might like to edit it. I'd love your feedback as well.

Best,
Matt

--
Matt Cooperrider
Strategic Account Manager, Collabforge pty ltd

Q: Why is this email five sentences or less? A: http://five.sentenc.es

Alex Linsker

Oct 8, 2010, 6:15:14 PM10/8/10
to open-gove...@googlegroups.com
Hey Matt,

That's great... at first I assumed it would be a wiki of bicycle routes... but it's a wiki for planning. I especially like the pages such as "Types of Bicyclists"... you're putting the "user experience" research and planning into the hands of the people.

Which is kind of incredible and very much needed... making the governance process, and the user experience process, and the vision, and from that, the planning process, open and transparent and accessible and tweakable.

The navigation and layout overall is super-clear. I love the informative sidebar, the friendly introductory text, and the three icons for Home, Plan, Media.

My only suggestion at first glance is to make the icon back to "Home" go to the same content that we see on the main page: instead of http://bikepedwiki.scag.ca.gov/bikepedtransportation/ I would link "Home" to  http://bikepedwiki.scag.ca.gov

Sincerely,

Alex
--
Alex Linsker