Fwd: DOT and developer's meeting

Nick Grossman

Jul 20, 2010, 2:37:08 PM7/20/10
to transit-d...@googlegroups.com, Public-Transit-...@meetup.com, open-gove...@googlegroups.com
Hi All--

NYC DOT is holding a meeting tomorrow to source ideas for transportation data sets.  RSVPs for the meeting are already closed, but I'll be going and wanted to reach out and see if there are any data sets that folks here are particularly interested in.  We've got a post up on Streetsblog here: http://www.streetsblog.org/2010/07/20/what-would-you-like-to-get-out-of-open-nycdot-data  Please leave a comment there if you have ideas.

Thanks!

Nick
--
Nick Grossman
Director of Civic Works

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Simons, Dani" <dsi...@dot.nyc.gov>
Date: July 16, 2010 6:01:04 PM EDT

Hello Developers!

The New York City Department of Transportation needs your help! We want to provide more and more useful information to the traveling public about traffic and transportation. We know we’ve got a lot of the raw data, we need you to help us separate the wheat from the chaff.

Here at the DOT we’re plugged into all of the comings and goings of the city - we’re constantly monitoring highways, ferries, traffic cameras, bridges and road work. This means that we create a ton of data, some of which we share publically on our data feedspage. However, most of our data isn’t currently public.
There are many reasons why you (outside of the walls of government bureaucracy) will be able to build better apps, at ten times the speed and efficiency than we will ever be able to. We see our role as opening up and cleaning up our data to make it easier for you. Together we can provide the public with the information they hunger for, to make better decisions about how to move around the City.

 To get started on this, we need your help to identify where the hot spots of demand are, so we can prioritize where direct our efforts to format and open up data. We also need you to help us start assessing where the gaps are between the data we have and the data we’d need to create truly useful “real-time traffic” apps. We’re at the beginning of this process, and the first step is to have an informal brainstorming meetup with developers. We’ll talk about some of the data feeds that we have, and hopefully you’ll come with some questions we haven’t asked yet.

We’ll be hosting the Brainstorming Meetup at DOT on July 21, 2010 from 9:30 – 11 am.

Invitation is open to anyone who wants to help improve the way DOT shares information, so pass it on. Space is limited, so please RSVP by July 15 to nfre...@dot.nyc.gov.

Dani Simons
Director of Strategic Communication
NYC Department of Transportation
55 Water Street, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10041

Sign up for DOT's e-mail updates: http://www.nyc.gov/dotnews

This message and any attachments are solely for the individual(s) named above and others who have been specifically authorized to receive such and may contain information which is confidential, privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use or distribution of the information included in this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments.

Thank you.