A "Democracy" page for NYC.gov?

Steven Clift

Aug 9, 2010, 1:19:29 PM8/9/10
to SpeakUpNY...@meetup.com, openn...@meetup.com, open-gove...@googlegroups.com
I am working on the Sunshine 2.0 guide -
http://pages.e-democracy.org/Sunshine_2.0 - right now.

To inform my drafting, I am cruising through the top ten rated cities
for "citizen participation" online from the U.S. Municipalities
E-Governance Survey 2008 - article is linked down the list at
http://pages.e-democracy.org/Local_Government_2.0

Denver was 10th, NYC 9th ... I have it in my mind that there should be
a general citizen-oriented "Democracy" or "Participate" page available
from the home page - a section that helps everyday people get involved
- from elections to engaging elected officials and appointed bodies
between elections. Denver sort of has one with their "City Government"
tab - http://www.denvergov.org . Their sub-page"Get Involved" is the
right idea, but it is light in content.

On the NYC.gov site, the "Government" section doesn't seem to even
link to the City Council although it is linked on the home page after
the mayor's office is linked a second time.

Anyway, what do folks in NYC think should be done to make existing and
future online support for local democracy more accessible or visible
online?

Thanks,
Steven Clift

P.S. Please answer my quick five thinking question survey:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/sunshine2

Steven Clift - http://stevenclift.com
  Executive Director - http://E-Democracy.Org
  Follow me - http://twitter.com/democracy