my little food data app: data.foodcards.org

Chacha Sikes

Apr 7, 2012, 8:12:19 PM4/7/12
to Chacha Sikes
I have been completely stationary for the last day and a half building this interactive interface for a ginormous list of foods.

(Use chrome.)

About this
The main purpose is just to be able to look at foods in the list, sort them in a social way, and pick lots of colors. (Right now, anyone should be able to edit the colors.)

This is a non-super-public prototype (and still some interaction errors & interactions I would like to add.)

It is also my first attempt to use MongoDB (on mongohq) - which is really fast (and I'm just using PHP + ajax, it's probably really insecure but oh well.)

Need help finding bigger Mongo database
There's just 2500 records on the internet right now (i have 10K), but my free mongo server is only 16 MB, so not many records fit :/
This will probably need 500-2GB for the amount of data that might wind up just in this 'simple' list of foods.

If anyone knows how to get a bunch of room on a big server for this that would be really awesome.

Let me know what you think!

- Chach

(p.s.)

(@open_food -- I haven't crosswalked w/ the UUID's, I don't know if that works yet. I put a little area that shows which datasets a given food is in, if we know (my data is a little messy ATM))