Open Everything Madrid

1 view

growing minds

Jul 7, 2009, 6:07:45 AM7/7/09
to Open Everything Discuss
Hi!
We are starting a project here in Madrid, Spain. It's called Growing
Minds.
We have very much in common. Let's unite.
Is anyone organizing anything in Spain?
Please contact us for more information on the September Event.. we
want to make a Spanish version of it..
Thank You,
Rodrigo Pastoria and Ana Benavente.

cbjkelvin

Jul 7, 2009, 7:06:56 AM7/7/09
to Open Everything Discuss
What a Growing Minds? Please tell more.

Douglas A. Whitfield

Jul 7, 2009, 12:28:06 PM7/7/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rodrigo and Ana!

There has not yet been an Open Everything event in Spain (or any
Spanish speaking country). I think it would be great if Growing Minds
put on such an event.

As it turns out, I've been pushing (nudging perhaps) people to get
Sister cities (or twin towns depending on where you are) involved and
two of Madrid's have put on OE event: NYC and Berlin. Perhaps someone
from those two locales could be a primary contact. For more info on
Madrid's sister cities, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madrid#Twin_towns_-_Sister_cities

As far as the specifics on how to set up an event, we don't really
have any rules or formal processes. The main thing is we ask you to
make a wiki page at http://openeverything.wik.is. If you need help
navigating the wiki, certainly let us know. Any specific questions?

Welcome!

Mark Surman

Jul 7, 2009, 3:29:30 PM7/7/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Hey all

Great that Madrid is interested in Open Everything! Welcome, and happy
to help as Johnathan says.

While we're in this loop, I have a question:

Do we want to move the Sept 26 Open Everything target day?

Here's why:

We're doing something called Mozilla Service Week Sept 14 - 21:

http://mozillaservice.org/

Followed by big involvement in One Web Day on Sept 22:

http://onewebday.org/

Personally, I am going to be totally focused on these events as Mozilla
is playing a huge role. So, won't have time leading up to OE in Sept.

Also, I worry that if these events are big -- which is something we're
really pushing to make happen -- they will compete / clash w/ Open
Everything.

On the flip side, if we moved coordinated Open Everything dates to end
of the year or start of 2010, then OE people could get involved in One
Web Day (which feels like a synergy).

Thoughts?

ms
--

Mark Surman
Executive Director

mail: ma...@mozillafoundation.org
blog: http://commonspace.wordpress.org
calendar: http://tinyurl.com/surmancalendar
photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/marksurman/
twitter: msurman

Douglas A. Whitfield

Jul 7, 2009, 4:00:52 PM7/7/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
And there's Software Freedom Day on September 19th. I'm all in favor
of pushing it back. Last year our December event suffered from snow,
but it certainly went on strong. I'd suggest not fighting the end of
semester crunch though. Early November/late October perhaps. In the
states election day is in November. It'll just be state/local
elections this year (I think that's the case everywhere, pretty sure
in Wisconsin) but doing it before then to motivate people to get out
and vote for candidates that support openness and transparency sounds
like a good idea. While this is my US-centric point-of-view, a fair
number of the cities participating are in the US (and maybe the extra
time would allow me to add some of the other cities I've been
pestering to get involved).

John Britton

Jul 7, 2009, 4:17:23 PM7/7/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't be opposed to pushing the date later. October sounds good. I'd prefer to avoid holiday times if possible.

Alnisa Allgood

Jul 7, 2009, 7:36:30 PM7/7/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Holiday times suck. I'd be open to October. I'm pretty focused on an event happening at the end of August. I've done nothing for the Madison event.

Alnisa

Alnisa Allgood
Executive Director
Nonprofit Tech
t. 608.241.3616
e. aln...@nonprofit-tech.org

Menka Parekh

Jul 7, 2009, 7:58:32 PM7/7/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
ditto re: london... though was just about to do a call-out for contributors and book a venue, so would be good to fix the date.

Mark Surman

Jul 7, 2009, 9:16:30 PM7/7/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Either 31 or 25 of October work for Toronto. The days in between are
Toronto Open Source week.

ms

On 7/7/09 4:36 PM, Alnisa Allgood wrote:
> Holiday times suck. I'd be open to October. I'm pretty focused on an
> event happening at the end of August. I've done nothing for the Madison
> event.
>
> Alnisa
>
> Alnisa Allgood
> Executive Director
> Nonprofit Tech
> t. 608.241.3616
> e. aln...@nonprofit-tech.org <mailto:aln...@nonprofit-tech.org>
> called Growing
> Event.. we
> >>

> > --
> >
> > Mark Surman
> > Executive Director
> > Mozilla Foundation
> >
> > mail: ma...@mozillafoundation.org
> <mailto:ma...@mozillafoundation.org>

Alnisa Allgood

Jul 7, 2009, 9:26:41 PM7/7/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
I'd rather see Saturday (31 October) than Sunday (25 October); though will Saturday being Halloween be problematic, and what about Germany?

Alnisa

Alnisa Allgood
Executive Director
Nonprofit Tech
t. 608.241.3616
e. aln...@nonprofit-tech.org

John Britton

Jul 7, 2009, 9:46:34 PM7/7/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
I agree, it might be strange to have the event on Halloween... but it could be fun. Both dates are the same for me, no preference.

John

Douglas A. Whitfield

Jul 7, 2009, 10:04:50 PM7/7/09
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Mark Surman<msu...@commons.ca> wrote:

> Either 31 or 25 of October work for Toronto. The days in between are
> Toronto Open Source week.

What's the problem with the 24th? typo perhaps? If the 24th is good,
I say do it then.

I'm not sure how many countries do Halloween. Anyone that cares to do
the research can start at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

I'd be fine with doing it on Halloween, personally. If we do that,
the next question is, costumes or no? :)

John Britton

Jul 7, 2009, 10:09:58 PM7/7/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
costumes, for sure!

Andrea Goetzke

Jul 8, 2009, 5:06:37 AM7/8/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think Saturday is better than Sunday. We also have Halloween in
Germany, but I think that should not be a big problem for the event.
Here, it's mostly for kids during the day and then parties at night.
So, 31 October should be ok.
I am also in favour of pushing the date back, as we are involved in
organizing a large open-source music/culture event in mid September here
in Berlin.

Andrea

Alnisa Allgood schrieb:
> I'd rather see Saturday (31 October) than Sunday (25 October); though
> will Saturday being Halloween be problematic, and what about Germany?
>
> Alnisa
>
> Alnisa Allgood
> Executive Director
> Nonprofit Tech
> t. 608.241.3616
> e. aln...@nonprofit-tech.org <mailto:aln...@nonprofit-tech.org>
>

> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Mark Surman <msu...@commons.ca
> <mailto:msu...@commons.ca>> wrote:
>

> Either 31 or 25 of October work for Toronto. The days in between are
> Toronto Open Source week.
>
> ms
>
> On 7/7/09 4:36 PM, Alnisa Allgood wrote:
> > Holiday times suck. I'd be open to October. I'm pretty focused on an
> > event happening at the end of August. I've done nothing for the
> Madison
> > event.
> >
> > Alnisa
> >
> > Alnisa Allgood
> > Executive Director
> > Nonprofit Tech
> > t. 608.241.3616
> > e. aln...@nonprofit-tech.org <mailto:aln...@nonprofit-tech.org>
> <mailto:aln...@nonprofit-tech.org <mailto:aln...@nonprofit-tech.org>>
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 3:17 PM, John Britton
> <pub...@johndbritton.com <mailto:pub...@johndbritton.com>
> > <mailto:pub...@johndbritton.com
> <mailto:pub...@johndbritton.com>>> wrote:
> >
> > I wouldn't be opposed to pushing the date later. October sounds
> > good. I'd prefer to avoid holiday times if possible.
> > --
> > contact info:
> > http://www.johndbritton.com
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Douglas A. Whitfield
> > <dougl...@gmail.com <mailto:dougl...@gmail.com>
> > <mailto:msu...@commons.ca <mailto:msu...@commons.ca>>>
> > <mailto:rodrigop...@gmail.com
> > called Growing
> > Event.. we
> > >>

> > > --
> > >
> > > Mark Surman
> > > Executive Director
> > > Mozilla Foundation
> > >
> > > mail: ma...@mozillafoundation.org
> <mailto:ma...@mozillafoundation.org>
> > <mailto:ma...@mozillafoundation.org
> <mailto:ma...@mozillafoundation.org>>
> > > blog: http://commonspace.wordpress.org
> > > calendar: http://tinyurl.com/surmancalendar
> > > photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/marksurman/
> > > twitter: msurman

> --
>
> Mark Surman
> Executive Director
> Mozilla Foundation
>
> mail: ma...@mozillafoundation.org <mailto:ma...@mozillafoundation.org>

growing minds

Jul 9, 2009, 5:40:41 AM7/9/09
to Open Everything Discuss
Great!! Growing minds is just starting.. our website is still under
construction.. we only have text material in it.. but if anybody wants
to take a look and give suggestions, help, participate, etc..
You're all welcome --- www.growingminds.es
We are not web developers.. i (rodrigo) am a moviemaker, a vj and a
cinematographer/photographer.. Ana is an architect and music genius..
and we are still looking for someone to design a good interactive
website for the project... using drupal, cchost, or any other
collaborative tool..
Our project is actually a twin brother of open everything.. everything
is based on the discussion of opennes..
we designed the OPEN EYE project.. the open (re)source awareness
movement...
we want to build a virtual city.. called the GROWING MINDS CITY.. this
is suppose to be a place for discussion in open sollutions..
the main idea for the city are the open (re)source, the open internet,
the open mobile and some other things.... open (re)source is a joke
between open everything and open source..
We are trying to gather all type of open sollution.. in all fields..
and we want to create an open campaign.. promoting free open culture..
We are gathering a bunch of information on the movement..if you take a
look at our bookmarks on delicious i'm sure you'll find something you
like.. your project is there too!
We encourage dealing with these subjects mostly with art and
sensitivity.. almost like the creative commons campaign.. easy
informative ways of letting people know about the open culture..
We want to bring it closer to unaware audiences.. and make everyone
aware of their role in this change..
we love to mix video, music, urban art.. and we participate in many
open events.. where people can bring their movies, songs, turntables
and always participate in an interactive way..
We strongly believe that competition should be seen as co-working.. as
sharing and as an incentive to grow..
we lived our whole lives in Brazil.. and as you all may know.. it's
one of the pionner countries on the matter.. they don't have the
Pirate Party as the 3rd national party as Sweden.. but they have
already made significant changes to national law to accommodate
collaborative work in a way that it may help culture growth and free
exchange.. we now moved to spain.. since we're half spanish.. both of
us.. and we are starting this project in an effort to unite europe
with the people we know in brazil and in as many places we can..
I can also make ammends to promote a Brazilian version of the open
everything..
I'm kind of a technology freak.. and I'm contacting some guys from the
open hardware movement.. and we are all trying things to facilitate
broadcasting of events and making them more interactive... we now use
a live streaming site for live broadcast of events... so we could have
all the open everything events all around the world transmitted live
simultaneously..
Well.. I've said a lot.. i'm gonna create my page here like you guys
asked me to.. and we'll be talking a lot in a present future...
About the date.. i don't really care about a specific date.. as i
said.. we think of competition as co-working.. other events that may
happen in a near date will only help us grow.. if people are sad
because they are gonna miss another great day to meet interesting ..
talk to us.. we would love to help any event be broadcast live. for
everyone in the world to see..
thank you!

On Jul 7, 6:28 pm, "Douglas A. Whitfield" <douglas...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Rodrigo and Ana!
>
> There has not yet been an Open Everything event in Spain (or any
> Spanish speaking country).  I think it would be great if Growing Minds
> put on such an event.
>
> As it turns out, I've been pushing (nudging perhaps) people to get
> Sister cities (or twin towns depending on where you are) involved and
> two of Madrid's have put on OE event: NYC and Berlin.  Perhaps someone
> from those two locales could be a primary contact.  For more info on
> Madrid's sister cities, seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madrid#Twin_towns_-_Sister_cities
>
> As far as the specifics on how to set up an event, we don't really
> have any rules or formal processes.  The main thing is we ask you to
> make a wiki page athttp://openeverything.wik.is.  If you need help
> navigating the wiki, certainly let us know.  Any specific questions?
>
> Welcome!

John Britton

Jul 24, 2009, 2:56:35 PM7/24/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

Have we come to a consensus to move the global OE date to Saturday October 31. Just got through the busiest part of my summer and I'm ready to start organizing events in NYC/SF and to help others get going.

Cheers,
John Britton

Celina Agaton

Jul 30, 2009, 8:07:29 PM7/30/09
to Open Everything Discuss
Hi everyone,

I've posted a new page for the Us Now Global Screening Project. I've
reached out to the Netsquared and One Web Day communities and am
hoping Open Everything will join the fun and plan a screening on the
global OE date on Saturday October 31.

Here are the details: http://bit.ly/1Rzh3l

So far, Paris, Portland, Ottawa and New York City have expressed
interest/are already planning their screenings.

Let me know if there's anything I can to do to help you -

Celina in Toronto
Twitter@celinaagaton

On Jul 24, 2:56 pm, John Britton <pub...@johndbritton.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > >     >         questions?
>
> > >     >          >> Welcome!
>
> > >     >          >> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 5:07 AM, growing
> > >     >         minds<rodrigopastor...@gmail.com
> > >     <mailto:rodrigopastor...@gmail.com>
> > >     >         <mailto:rodrigopastor...@gmail.com
> > >     <mailto:rodrigopastor...@gmail.com>>>  wrote:
> > >     >          >>> Hi!
> > >     >          >>> We are starting a project here in Madrid, Spain. It's
> > >     >         called Growing
> > >     >          >>> Minds.
> > >     >          >>> We have very much in common. Let's unite.
> > >     >          >>> Is anyone organizing anything in Spain?
> > >     >          >>> Please contact us for more information on the
> > September
> > >     >         Event.. we
> > >     >          >>> want to make a Spanish version of it..
> > >     >          >>> Thank You,
> > >     >          >>> Rodrigo Pastoria and Ana Benavente.

John Britton

Aug 14, 2009, 3:20:24 PM8/14/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone,

I haven't heard anything against the date of Saturday 31 October, I'm going to push for NYC and San Francisco to run events on that date. I'd also assume that Mark will be able to run an event in Toronto as he suggested the dates.

I've had a number of people interested in running events contact me about a final date, let's do it on Halloween (Open Costumes).

Last night I spoke with Garin from Ann Arbor, he's going to run an event there as well.

Cheers,
John Britton

Garin Fons

Aug 19, 2009, 2:27:35 PM8/19/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Just wanted to follow up on John's comment about the 31st of October. Ann Arbor is happy to have it on that date and we are looking forward to discussion and the potential for some great costumes. The collection of photos from the day's event are going to be ridiculous, I'm sure.

- garin

John Britton

Aug 19, 2009, 2:31:11 PM8/19/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the follow-up Garin. If you need anything from me, just shoot me an email. I've got another person to organize in NYC, so I'm going to try and get an event going in SF.

Cheers,
John

Christine Prefontaine

Aug 20, 2009, 11:41:57 AM8/20/09
to Open Everything Discuss
Hi All -- There's some concern from the Montreal folks about the 31st.
Especially for those of us with kids. Anyone else facing this issue?

On Aug 19, 2:31 pm, John Britton <pub...@johndbritton.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the follow-up Garin. If you need anything from me, just shoot me
> an email. I've got another person to organize in NYC, so I'm going to try
> and get an event going in SF.
> Cheers,
> John
> --
> contact info:http://www.johndbritton.com

> read more »

John Britton

Aug 20, 2009, 11:50:33 AM8/20/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
My suggestion is to leave it up to the organizer to run the event on 30 or 31 October (Saturday or Sunday). If it's a big problem for you then just run the event on the day before, you can still have an open costume session to prepare for the 31.

Cheers,
John Britton

Douglas A. Whitfield

Aug 20, 2009, 11:54:18 AM8/20/09
On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 10:50 AM, John Britton<pub...@johndbritton.com> wrote:
> My suggestion is to leave it up to the organizer to run the event on 30 or
> 31 October (Saturday or Sunday).

You may need to look at a calendar again. The 31st is a Saturday.
Though, that's not to say Sunday, November 1st might be an option.

We've had people say they won't be able to do it on the 31st but there
are going to be some people that will say that no matter what. I will
ping the Madison group and see what they think about the 1st. I'm
particularly interested in those that have already said they will not
be able to attend on the 31st.

John Britton

Aug 20, 2009, 12:23:36 PM8/20/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Same idea, but it wouldn't be as fun to do an open costume session on 1 November. I'm going to get NYC and SF going on 31 October.

John

Garin Fons

Oct 7, 2009, 2:09:02 AM10/7/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
HI All,

Biggest change I want to announce here is that Ann Arbor will be doing the OpenEverything event on Friday evening, October 30th (we'll still encourage costumes).  This is due in large part to conflicting Halloween events on Saturday afternoon and evening. It will be a 4 hour BarCamp style event with food and drink from 5 - 9pm with discussion overflowing to nearby social venues.

More details will emerge shortly.

- garin

Rodrigo Pastoriza

Oct 7, 2009, 3:09:31 PM10/7/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Hello!!
We are still deciding and contacting a few people... There will be an event in Sao Paulo called Open Innovation on the 22nd and 23rd of October.. so we have some divided attention..
Pirate Cinema is now confirmed to promote screenings at both events (Madrid and Sao Paulo).. movies like "Steal This Film", "RIP: A Remix Manifesto", "Good Copy, Bad Copy"..
more info coming soon..

Rodrigo Pastoriza
skype: rodrigopastoriza

Growing Minds

Mark Surman

Oct 16, 2009, 8:31:50 PM10/16/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Hey

FYI all. It looks like Toronto is doing 'open everything potluck' on
Monday Oct 26.

Do we have a current list of what's happening w/ all these events? Are
we making any noise beyond this group?

ms

--

Mark Surman
Executive Director
Mozilla Foundation

mail: ma...@mozillafoundation.org
blog: http://commonspace.wordpress.com

Garin Fons

Oct 16, 2009, 8:51:15 PM10/16/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
I sent a call out a week ago asking a similar question. We'll definitely be making some noise here in Michigan.  Take a closer look at our event format, by visiting the OE space:

http://openeverything.wik.is/Ann_Arbor

- garin

Douglas A. Whitfield

Oct 17, 2009, 1:31:13 AM10/17/09
On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Mark Surman <msu...@commons.ca> wrote:
> Do we have a current list of what's happening w/ all these events?

I'm personally of the opinion that such a list should go on the wiki.
If you're a team lead and you're having a problem with the wiki, let
me know and I'll try to help.

>Are
> we making any noise beyond this group?

What exactly do you mean? I talk to people in Chicago and Milwaukee
about an event from time-to-time. I talk to people in Madison on a
pretty regular basis. Alnisa and I are trying to work with the SLIS
people at UW. I think we're noisy, but we might be banging a drum in
a padded room. :)