Global Open Everything: 31 Oct

Alnisa Allgood

Sep 23, 2009, 3:11:33 PM9/23/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Was hoping to get an update on who's doing events and where. Has things come up or are most of the people who indicated they were interested in doing something, already started planning to do something?

Alnisa

Alnisa Allgood
Executive Director
Nonprofit Tech
t. 608.241.3616
e. aln...@nonprofit-tech.org

Mark Surman

Sep 24, 2009, 2:56:55 PM9/24/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com, Celina Agaton
Hey

From the Toronto-side, I am thinking about doing a simple 'Open
Everything Potluck' around October 27 or 28.

That's Toronto Open Source week, and there will be alot of people in
town for the FSOSS conference.

ms

--

Mark Surman
Executive Director

mail: ma...@mozillafoundation.org
blog: http://commonspace.wordpress.com
calendar: http://tinyurl.com/surmancalendar
photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/marksurman/
twitter: msurman

Celina Agaton

Sep 24, 2009, 3:09:02 PM9/24/09
to Mark Surman, open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,
Happy to help with organizing. Let me know if we can organize an Us
Now screening, with FSOSS or otherwise. A number of folks are asking
about the next Toronto screening, so I think it would be good timing
to get more folks involved and aware during Open Everything.
Celina

Twitter: celinaagaton
celina...@gmail.com
647.299.5444

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 24, 2009, at 2:56 PM, Mark Surman <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey
>
> From the Toronto-side, I am thinking about doing a simple 'Open
> Everything Potluck' around October 27 or 28.
>
> That's Toronto Open Source week, and there will be alot of people in
> town for the FSOSS conference.
>
> ms
>
> On 23/09/09 3:11 PM, Alnisa Allgood wrote:
>> e. aln...@nonprofit-tech.org <mailto:aln...@nonprofit-tech.org>

Garin Fons

Sep 24, 2009, 3:42:52 PM9/24/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com, Mark Surman
A similar scenario to that of Toronto will play our here in Ann Arbor. We will promote the event widely as a barcamp style event, but will keep it short (about 4 hours midday/early evening), informal (come in a Halloween costume), and focused around food and drink. We want to inspire a good discussion and enable it with a good space and collaboration tools, but know that given competing events it may start as a discussion and later turn into a celebration of Open. I'll keep you posted as we solidify location and start hearing back from interested parties.

- garin

Alnisa Allgood

Sep 24, 2009, 3:56:58 PM9/24/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Sounds cool!  Yeah, there's a lot of stuff going on around then. Casual events focused on food and drink sound good. Celina, we will be doing an US Now showing for the November meeting of MadTech—Madison's Nonprofit Technology Group.

I've been thinking about a panel on 'Funding Open' but it's such a wide open topic, that it may require a lot more effort than  31 October would allow. I haven't been able to reduce it in my head yet, what with everything in open hardware which is very different than open software, then things like open access, open education, journalism, and nonprofits. But I've been randomly contact people doing some research.

But maybe an afternoon halloween party with open everything as the general topic could be cool.

Alnisa

Alnisa Allgood
Executive Director
Nonprofit Tech
t. 608.241.3616
e. aln...@nonprofit-tech.org

Randy Fisher

Sep 24, 2009, 4:02:19 PM9/24/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alnisa,

don't know if it fits here, but we at WikiEducator are exploring "Open Philanthropy", and a different relationship with funders.

http://www.wikieducator.org/Open_Philanthropy

Appreciate any feedback..

- Randy
--
Open Education is a sustainable and renewable resource.

________________
Randy Fisher, MA
Senior Consultant & Facilitator, Intersol Group, Canada

Senior Consultant, Organization & Business Development
International Centre for Open Education / OER Foundation, New Zealand

Elected Member, WikiEducator Community Council, www.wikieducator.org
+1 613.230.6424 x144 (EST)
Skype: wikirandy
Twitter: wikirandy

* Stakeholder Engagement, Change / Transition Management & Performance
* Organization Design & Development
* Sustainable Project Implementation & Community-Building
* E-Learning, Online Collaboration & Communities of Practice
* Coaching & Facilitation
* My Bio: http://www.communitybuildingexpert.com

Alnisa Allgood

Sep 24, 2009, 6:19:41 PM9/24/09
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Randy,

It definitely fits into the spectrum somewhere. Though the spectrum is so large I can't say where, but I'll enjoy exploring it.

I just had a talk with the Executive Director of the UW Madison's School of Business, INSITE (Initiative for Studies in Technology Entrepreneurship) regarding two of their lecture's who partially touched on some of the issues. The further I delve in the more I believe that the whole idea deserves a series: (a) possibly starting with a broad focused why and how, with input from mixed industries; (b) improvisational (creative and possibly innovative approaches); (c) the new routines or standards (ideas known to work, even if they won't work for everyone); and then (d) finish it off with something like transforming traditions (like open philanthropy, etc.)

I'm way early in, but the above were ideas I thought of, when listening to the discussion on Organizational Learning that I went to tonight, combined with some of the back and forth I had with some open hardware and open access people.

Alnisa

Alnisa Allgood
Executive Director
Nonprofit Tech
t. 608.241.3616
e. aln...@nonprofit-tech.org

Jose Leal

Sep 28, 2009, 7:22:39 PM9/28/09
to Mark Surman, open-everyt...@googlegroups.com, Dragan Stojanovic
Hello Mark,

We would love to attend as well as help to organise!

Jose

wikiDOMO.com
jo...@wikiDOMO.com
416.666.1855