StatusCamp

1 view

Douglas A. Whitfield

Feb 22, 2010, 10:41:47 PM2/22/10
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com
Anybody interested in doing one of these? http://status.net/wiki/StatusCamp

Not exactly 'everything' but open source AND open data/information.  Obviously, social media stuff can talk about opening up organizations that want to be transparent.  Transparency is great, but if you don't have access to the info (dead tree library, etc), its existence isn't entirely helpful.  Of course, the same could be said about Internet access, but that's a monetary/bureaucratic nightmare.  Throwing up a StatusNet site seems a much lower barrier to entry than laying fiber to Nome.

*Resisting urge to rub it in a bit to the Canadians* ;)

Douglas A. Whitfield

President Madison Linux User Group
http://madisonlinux.org/
Editor-in-Chief: http://sportazine.com

Mark Surman

Feb 23, 2010, 12:47:03 PM2/23/10
to open-everyt...@googlegroups.com, Douglas A. Whitfield
Hey open everythingers

I went to a statuscamp in brussels. Was fun, and very aligned in terms
of 'openeverything' type values.

On a similar note, Mozilla is starting up something called Drumbeat:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat

... and will have a series of local events:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/events/organizers

I'd love to get people on this list involved if there is any interest.

ms