recs requested for hot air gun for tetrode making

Chris Rodgers

Mar 14, 2022, 12:31:46 PM3/14/22
to Open Ephys
Any recommendations for heat guns for making tetrodes? Looked through the twister docs and didn't see one, I see in the linked JOVE video that they use a Steinel HG 3002 LCD. That's almost $200 on digikey, not sure if it's necessary to spend so much or if just any old gun will work. thanks!

Kev Kidder

Mar 15, 2022, 3:48:02 PM3/15/22
to Open Ephys
We use a cheap wagner hot air gun ($25). Here is the amazon link https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Spraytech-0503008-Heat-Gun/dp/B00004TUCV?th=1

We've used these for over 6 years on tungsten and Nichrome tetrode wire with no issues.

Best,
Kevan K
Mizumori Lab

Chris Rodgers

Mar 15, 2022, 3:50:08 PM3/15/22
to Open Ephys
Thanks Kevan! To share with everyone for the record ... I also received some offline recommendations for the Sparkfun Hot Air Re-work station, which is more expensive ($140) but has good control of temperature and airflow, and can also be used for its intended purpose of hot-air soldering.