Meetups

1 view

Pharos

May 11, 2009, 2:33:55 PM5/11/09
to Open Education League NY
Hi folks,

One of the initial ideas we had in the discussions at Open Everything
NYC was that as we form a real Open Education community in this area,
and there are quite a few folks coming at this goal from disparate
projects and areas of experience, it would be a good way of connecting
for us to actually meet up once a month or so.

There was some discussion of whether we should hold meetings
independently or perhaps piggyback on another group like the Drupal
meetup, and it is probably too early to say now what a permanent
solution would look like (and I hope we'll have some good suggestions
coming).

But to start things off anyway, I would like to invite you all to our
next Wikimedia NYC meeting at Columbia University this Sunday May 17.
It's a very Open Education-friendly crowd, and as an organizer of that
meeting I would be very glad to set aside a special session where
Wikimedians can interact with the broader Open Education community,
and the two groups can hopefully share their questions and
experiences.

---Wikimedia NYC Meeting details for Sunday May 17---

2:30 PM - 5:00PM:
Room 1402 Pupin Hall, Columbia University. Take the elevator to the
13th floor and then walk up one flight of stairs. Meeting to be held
in the library at the east end of the hall.

5:00 PM onwards:
Meetup at Pupin Hall, and then walk together to The Symposium, a local
Greek restaurant with an oddly appropriate name..

Page on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC
------

So, just consider this an open invitation to you good folks to join us
this Sunday, and hopefully we can make some more permanent
arrangements in the future.

Thanks,
Richard
Wikimedia NYC

Message has been deleted

Brad Felix

May 13, 2009, 9:14:24 AM5/13/09
to open-educati...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

Great to meet you at the Open Everything event, and thanks for putting
together this League!

This event sounds like a fantastic way to begin the journey. I'll
cast myself as a "tentative" depending on whether I can make it to the
city or not.

I am curious - what is the agenda of the Wikimedia meeting?

Brad

Brad Felix
Flat World Knowledge, LLC
13 North Mill Street
Nyack, New York 10960
www.flatworldknowledge.com
twitter.com/flat_world

Pharos

May 13, 2009, 7:36:48 PM5/13/09
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Brad Felix <br...@flatworldknowledge.com> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Great to meet you at the Open Everything event, and thanks for putting
> together this League!
>
> This event sounds like a fantastic way to begin the journey.  I'll
> cast myself as a "tentative" depending on whether I can make it to the
> city or not.
>
> I am curious - what is the agenda of the Wikimedia meeting?
>
> Brad

Hey Brad, it would be great to have you and others join us.

Of course, being true Wikimedians, we have the whole agenda being
developed on-wiki (feel free to add something!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC#Agenda

We tend to split the meetings into two parts, one part about ongoing
and potential chapter projects, and the other part more of an open
forum on issues that come up in the broader Wikimedia community.

One of the bigger items on the agenda is 'Wiki-Conference New York', a
larger event this summer at NYU that we hope the local Open Education
and Free Culture communities can also join us in participating in.

Of course you good folks in 'Open Education League NY' are already
penciled in "on the agenda" too :)

Thanks,
Richard
Wikimedia NYC

Pharos

May 25, 2009, 4:36:41 PM5/25/09
to open-educati...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

Several of you have expressed a preference for weekday evenings over
weekend afternoons, and perhaps we should go with that approach in
future.

I hereby open the the floor of the Open Education League to proposals
and debate- let's hear suggestions, perhaps something in June!

Downtown? Uptown? Brooklyn? (I'm rooting for Brooklyn!)

Thanks,
Richard
Wikimedia NYC

Mathew Lippincott

May 27, 2009, 12:21:34 PM5/27/09
to open-educati...@googlegroups.com
Brooklyn! (preference for some place not off JMZ or L)

David Goodman

May 28, 2009, 12:12:42 AM5/28/09
to open-educati...@googlegroups.com
I'll be glad to have it at my house in Boerum Hill. Two blocks from
all subways ''except'' the JMZ and L. Even parking in the evenings.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.

Brad Felix

May 28, 2009, 2:36:51 PM5/28/09
to open-educati...@googlegroups.com
Brooklyn is tough for me (coming from north of the city) but I will
survive :)

What's on people's minds? Here is my question of the day:

Why do resources such as AcademicEarth receive considerable attention/
success while others (eg OCW's, TeacherTube, etc.) do not?

brad

David Goodman

May 28, 2009, 2:42:39 PM5/28/09
to open-educati...@googlegroups.com
As Brooklyn goes, it's not bad. first, second or third stop on all trains.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.

Scott Albritton

May 28, 2009, 4:11:47 PM5/28/09
to open-educati...@googlegroups.com

Any chance we could still manage to meet in Manhattan?

:(
Coming down from Queens (Astoria) to Brooklyn would seriously reduce my likelihood of showing up, but Manhattan is more manageable.

Scott

Pharos

Jun 4, 2009, 10:00:49 PM6/4/09
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Scott Albritton<thinkg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any chance we could still manage to meet in Manhattan?
>
> :(
> Coming down from Queens (Astoria) to Brooklyn would seriously reduce my
> likelihood of showing up, but Manhattan is more manageable.
>
> Scott

Well, do we have any proposals of spaces in Manhattan?

If not, then the County of Kings might just be our place, at least for
the first meeting.

Anyone else have an opinion?