fresnel lens

Antonin

Feb 27, 2010, 4:42:09 PM2/27/10
to Open Design Water Purification System
Here is an interesting use of a fresnel lens to produce potable water
with concentrated sunlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXjMAItCMl0&feature=PlayList&p=AA3631564D1195A3&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=46

Mark Ireton

Feb 28, 2010, 10:44:10 AM2/28/10
to open-design-water-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antonin,

Due to some spam, I am not moderating messages to the Group.  So there will be some delay after posting your message.  Maybe I can change the settings so that members can post without moderation.

That was a really cool video.  It seems like the fresnel lens could also be useful for cooking.  I wonder how difficult it would be to build a lens out of easy to obtain materials.  I have seen fresnel lens at lighthouses and the look like multiple layers of glass.

Mark

Antonin

Feb 28, 2010, 11:15:56 AM2/28/10
to Open Design Water Purification System
Hi Mark,

I think that making a homemade fresnel lens would be difficult. A
parabolic mirror might be easyer to make, from old CDs or pieces of
broken mirrors.